Chrome Dome Distortion

blivjc

Hi everyone! I just built a Chrome Dome distortion, but having an issue. It works mostly, but somehow when I change the tone knob, it cuts the volume and sounds quite dull in the middle and if I turns it back and forth a bit, then the volume comes back and it sounds normal again. I already checked the tone knob and other components multiple times but couldn't figure out. If anyone can help, it will be really appreciated. Thank you guys!

I'll retry Chuck I soldered it to the back of the board between tone pot 1 and C7 leg that had continuity with the pot lug but didn't lift out C7s leg

I'm at work for 10 hours so might be a while but I'll report back

Sure do Chuck

I'll try this then a red fasel just to see what it does I expect it'll just act like a wah when turned

I do have an old Gould OS255 15mhz oscilloscope which I've never used I just usually audio probe problems so don't have a clue with the o scope but I'll fire it up and maybe start learning and hopefully get some useful info

Chuck

I can confirm that your solution works thank you very much for your advice and knowledge

Unfortunately mine has developed another fault nothing major or related to the 10K fix but it hindered me in my testing, my volume kept cutting out and from the old wiggle test I've got a dodgy connection on lug 1 it wouldn't alter volume or dump signal to ground, once I held it in place several times and rotated the tone pot through its range the dead spot had gone

So when I get a minute I'll sort the volume

Thanks again Chuck I know this has appeared on another couple of forums so I'll pass on your fix with credit to you

great to hear chucks fixed worked, ive yet to try the 1nf on the tone pot, but ill dig the board out again and try with the c7, pretty sure that cleared mine up, but yea, ill try the 1nf as well!

I like the 10K resistor fix better than the 1nF capacitor fix because it addresses the problem directly. No guarantees that the 1nF fix will even work, it's a band-aid at best, just something to try.

Fixed that weird 'dead spot' in the TONE control with @Chuck D. Bones' 10k resistor in series with C7- thanks a lot 2019 Chuck!!

upIVpUh.jpg

This circuit is fucking bonkers- I love it.

Thinking of finally building this one since it’s low parts count and I have the board laying around since 2020— glad I found the details about the fixes. Anything else worth implementing to improve performance?

It is what it is. The 10K resistor and grounding the unused inputs on IC1 are all that's required to prevent problems. There are plenty of component value tweaks one could make to tailor the tone. Don't waste your money on an expen$ive inductor. Socket IC1. All of the current production (Texas Instruments) CD4049s I've tried are noisy, some worse than others. If you can find a vintage RCA, National or Fairchild, use one of those. Running IC1 on 9V was not smart IMHO; it works better at 4 or 5V and draws a lot less power. Fixing that requires cutting traces.

It'd be more useful to me if it were louder. My build sits around unity- same as the demo I watched of the original.

That's the only thing I'd change, but since I don't have a fix to suggest other than maybe stacking it with a boost, I'm just complaining 🙃

Increasing the volume is easy. Make R20 larger. Try 68K. don't go over 150K.

something else to try: If the tone is too harsh, increase C9 to 100pF or higher to roll-off some of the extreme high-end. At 22pF, C9 cuts the treble above 48KHz. Your dog won't even hear that.

It is what it is. The 10K resistor and grounding the unused inputs on IC1 are all that's required to prevent problems.
Got it! Nice and easy fix. Not surprised that it’s not a pinnacle of design/engineering— the guy who runs it didn’t seem like a super professional guy when I was looking into his stuff way back when. A friend of mine got one direct from him in 2013 or so, and it was so shoddy and haphazard looking; like it was thrown together with hot glue.

There are plenty of component value tweaks one could make to tailor the tone.
Might add a pot to control the Q of the filter. Easy enough to do. Otherwise I don’t think it’s work messing with too much based on my memory of how it sounded. Maybe the r20 increase you mentioned since it was pretty weak in output, but otherwise it’s a solid sounding, if not poorly designed, peace of kit to mess around with.

Don't waste your money on an expen$ive inductor. Socket IC1. All of the current production (Texas Instruments) CD4049s I've tried are noisy, some worse than others. If you can find a vintage RCA, National or Fairchild, use one of those.
I have a bunch of the cheap inductors from SBP exactly for projects like this. Most measure around 520mH which should be perfect. Interesting to hear about the 4049s— do you find them to be noisy only in CMOS distortion stuff, or also when they’re part of PLL/Octave circuits? I think I have two or three old production ones (Fairchild? I don’t remember, but def not TI; something from the 70s or 80s) that I got in a box of old parts years ago. I’ll give ‘em a try.

A friend of mine got one direct from him in 2013 or so, and it was so shoddy and haphazard looking; like it was thrown together with hot glue.
I guess it's fair to assume that if the manufacturing is iffy, the engineering would be too... where is the pride in making something good?

Might add a pot to control the Q of the filter. Easy enough to do.
I'd breadboard it first. My experience with modding CryBaby wahs is that when raising R9 beyond 100K there is no increase in Q. Might even be less, depending on the inductor. If you're shooting for super high Q (which may or may not be desirable), then you need a high Q inductor which means the winding resistance needs to be low. I have some of these sweet babies and the winding resistance is around 30Ω.

Stack o' dimes 02.jpg

Interesting to hear about the 4049s— do you find them to be noisy only in CMOS distortion stuff, or also when they’re part of PLL/Octave circuits? I think I have two or three old production ones (Fairchild? I don’t remember, but def not TI; something from the 70s or 80s) that I got in a box of old parts years ago. I’ll give ‘em a try.
CMOS gates were never intended to be used in a linear mode. A few clever guys like Craig Anderton, figured out that certain CMOS gates could be operated in linear mode and wrote about it back in the '70s. After reading that stuff, I experimented with running CMOS inverters in linear mode back then. At the time, there were several manufacturers, RCA, Fairchild, National, Signetics... making CD4000 parts. Fast-forward to today and a few big names (TI, ADI, ON semi) have gobbled up the competition. AFAIK, TI is the only producer of CD4000-series ICs. Their CD4069s and CD4049s are noisy when run in linear mode. Oddly enough, their CD4007s are quiet in linear mode. If you're making octave-down circuits or PLL circuits (like the Boss DF-2), then the CMOS ICs are running in digital mode and therefore analog noise is not a concern. I always socket CMOS parts when running them in linear mode because the datasheet tells us nothing about what to expect in linear mode. The only way to know if a CMOS gate is any good in linear mode is to try it. Maybe a good topic for a separate discussion.

I guess it's fair to assume that if the manufacturing is iffy, the engineering would be too... where is the pride in making something good?
I think it was probably a fluke— probably messed around and made something he liked, then decided to sell them without much of the know-how.
I'd breadboard it first. My experience with modding CryBaby wahs is that when raising R9 beyond 100K there is no increase in Q. Might even be less, depending on the inductor. If you're shooting for super high Q (which may or may not be desirable), then you need a high Q inductor which means the winding resistance needs to be low.
Great info! In this case I’m actually shooting for lower Q, so I’d only be going down in resistance, not up. Probably replace R9 with a 5K resistor and an A250K pot or something like that. Tame it down into more standard variable mid-boost area when the sharp cocked Wah effect isn’t needed. For super high Q stuff, my go to is always the Systech Harmonic Energizer or its angry brother, the Systech Overdrive— I don’t need this to cover the same territory.

CMOS gates were never intended to be used in a linear mode. A few clever guys like Craig Anderton… …Maybe a good topic for a separate discussion.
Super interesting stuff! I’d definitely love to see you do a whole write up about CMOS chips in linear mode— the Darkglass stuff (AION Maelstrom schematic) could be a really interesting circuit to dissect and compare to the older implementations like the Anderton Tube Sound Fuzz/Red Llama or EHX Hot Tubes.

Tenting? Is that Canadian term?
When 2 parts are in series, the order does not matter.
I misunderstood a few simple things about how HPF and LPFs are formed; I understand now series order doesn't matter.

When signal's shunted off, such as in this Coda diagram of a Muff tone circuit, it matters:

MUFF HPF vs LPF DIAGRAM BY CODA.png

A little bit more knowledge gained and I'll be close to dangerous...

ok... what was the freq before we installed the 10K resistor?
Well uhh lesseeee
C7 and R15 form a HPF corner freq of 1.1Hz.

Oh yes, mustn't forget...
RE: "Tenting"... Sure could be a Canadian term, I suppose. I couldn't find any examples on the forum until I switched the term to "teepee" and then you get all sorts of hits of @MichaelW and many other forumites teepeeing components.

To the left of the IC, there's two resistors tented/teepeed :

RESISTOR TEEPEE.png

For the Chrome Dome, I would teepee/tent the 10k with C7 cap in C7's location...

Back