Circulator- Extremely low volume output, but bypass works

ThickMilkyGobs

Hello everyone! I finished up my Circulator PCB today, but unfortunately I've run into a problem: it transfers a clean signal with bypassed, but when the pedal is turned on, the output is very, very quiet and tinny. Flipping the Phase/Vibrato switch to the right slightly boosts the volume, but it's barely noticeable. I can hear some signal coming through with the practice amp on my soldering bench, but when I tried running it through my tube amp, I couldn't hear anything at all. The LED lights up, though, so that's nice.
IMG_0618.JPG IMG_0620.JPG IMG_0619.JPG IMG_0621.JPG IMG_0622.JPG
As with all my builds, I took at sewing needle and lightly dragged it across the bottom of the board, around all the pads, to scrape away any excess flux.

I don't have voltage measurements for the IC's ,but I can take some measurements if that's necessary to troubleshoot. What should I set the knobs to before I do the voltage testing on the chips, though?

I also have an audio probe, but this circuit seems fairly complex, and I'm not sure how to go about probing the circuit on a PCB this complicated.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks for reading.

Is that green chiclet really a 1U cap on the upper right side of the board? Looks like the same question for C7, C9, C10, C11 and C13. Have you double-checked all part values?
Do you have an audio probe? If so, you can follow the audio path on the schematic to identify the places to check on your PCB.

Is that green chiclet really a 1U cap on the upper right side of the board? Looks like the same question for C7, C9, C10, C11 and C13. Have you double-checked all part values?
Do you have an audio probe? If so, you can follow the audio path on the schematic to identify the places to check on your PCB.
Wait, those are 1uF caps? Not 1nF? How did I not notice that the entire time I was building this?

Well, I just replaced them with 1uF's, and now the pedal works! But is the Depth knob supposed to act as a volume control when the Phase/Vibrato switch is set to Vibrato?

Thanks for the help @zgrav! Next step might be to try some of the mods from this guy's build.

Back