Dark Rift Delay

digitalsea

Hi all,

Tearing my hair out with this one.

I’m only getting clean signal when engaged. I’ve switched out all the ICs and checked over too many times.

Is there anything that you guys can see that I’m missing?

Thanks for looking. 0F2B35EA-652B-439B-B36C-A561CEA9F29C.jpeg

Attachments

• 577CC598-5BD9-4696-BC0A-D4DC82AA225F.jpeg
    577CC598-5BD9-4696-BC0A-D4DC82AA225F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
Let's see the other side. Have you thoroughly inspected all of the solder joints and component values?

I see you melted C8, that would be enough to kill the wet signal. Replace C8 and any other damaged parts. Those oversized 1uF caps made it hard to assemble, hmmmmm?

Looking for any bridge connections and wiring mishaps is all I could do until now, I couldn't find any as ugly as it is. The handed down soldering iron I was using had a flat tip as it was so old. Just picked up a new soldering iron and multimeter. Need to read up on how to use a multimeter tonight, not sure what values are good or bad yet.
PXL_20210202_235137222.jpg
Those oversized 1uF caps made it hard to assemble, hmmmmm?
🤣I had no idea they would be so big

All of those solder joints need to be retouched. Some look cold, most have too much solder on them. Bend the pots up (gently) so you can work underneath them. No point in making measurements until the board passes visual inspection.

All of those solder joints need to be retouched. Some look cold, most have too much solder on them. Bend the pots up (gently) so you can work underneath them. No point in making measurements until the board passes visual inspection.
I took the potentiometers off and retouch everything with my new iron. I was able to remove a lot of solder as well as get better connections. I had the faint workings of each potentiometer under neath a clean guitar but after unplugging and reconnecting everything it was gone. I am guessing that means I need to go everything connection again.
that middle a100k pot above the pcb, does it have a dust cover like the others? I can seen them on the other five, might just be the angle though. If not it could be shorting out.
a100k does not have a cover and was not the cause of the short

Last edited:
I've put together a couple of these and made the same mistake both times. C8 is 1n not 1u, the wrong value here will lead to almost completely dry signal. Met someone one a facebook forum that made the same mistake, easy to miss

I've put together a couple of these and made the same mistake both times. C8 is 1n not 1u, the wrong value here will lead to almost completely dry signal. Met someone one a facebook forum that made the same mistake, easy to miss
Oh, FFS, yep. Came here looking for IC voltages and I did the same thing with C8. With those other 3 1u there, it’s like when you read a sentence that’s missing a word and your brain just fills it in.
Also, Hotcakes, I sympathize, I have those same grey 1u giants and it was tough to source any smaller ones. Finally uncovered them in the pile at Mouser and they had a grand total of 17 in stock and they took two weeks to get here. Things are rough down in Texas.

JFC. I just did the same god damn thing. 1u in C8 instead of 1n. And oddly enough I think my D2 is backwards compared to the print out PDF but if that doesn’t matter I’m not going to pull that out. Will be swapping C8 out tomorrow.
Clean while bypass and clean engaged with just a faint single repeat when fully blast all knobs. Hoping it’s just the C8. My first issue in a long time. 5146FC50-6A99-4552-ABD7-9DC115AE367C.jpeg

Back