Derailer (TWE-1) - Revisted (Mods)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This has been sitting on my shelf for a couple of weeks. I kept missing a particular value component (some obtuse value caps like 1n2)
so I'd have to wait for my next order of components, I did this a couple of times then kinda forgot about the pedal and built a bunch of other stuff.

Well, I finally started it yesterday, was up in the middle of the night and couldn't sleep so decided to brew a pot of coffee and finish the build.

Really glad I came back to this. It was not what I expected (in a good way). There is a TON of gain in this pedal and a LOT of different sounds to be had.
I love the available faceplate too. Gives the pedal a nice finished look and not unlike the original Ethos pedal.

I've always been intrigued by the Ken Fischer Trainwreck designs. I've never played through a real Ken Fischer but have played the Dr. Z Z-Wreck amps as well as the Fuchs Train. I also use the Fuchs Train II Unison Amp model in my UAD Apollo rig. As much as I love the sound of his stuff, the "Wreck" style amps seem to be better suited to a cleaner and more technically proficient player (I'm thinking Brad Paisley). They feel a bit unforgiving for sloppy players like me:).

When Ethos released the TWE-1 pedal a few years back it was a bit of a "ho-hum" for me. I had the Overdrive Special pre-amp from Ethos and never really liked it, too many knobs and too fiddly for me. Sat on the shelf for years until I recently sold it. The Derailer build for me was really more out of curiosity than anything else.

Still too many switches for my tastes (hahah) but I was floored by the overtones that seem to just jump out of this pedal even at moderate gain levels. I don't know if the Ethos TWE-1 does this but for sure the PedalPCB Derailer is a phenomenal circuit. Way more gain than I am likely to ever use but I'm still messing with it and learning how to use it. This pedal definitely captures that Ken Fischer vibe with the very rich (almost overly rich) harmonic content it produces. Almost feels like I'm using a harmonizer at some gain levels. Fun build, lotsa parts compared to the last few drive pedals I've built. Very gratifying that it fired right up first time I plugged it in. (And I did NOT wire the I/o jacks backwards as I have a habit of doing hahah).

IMG_2764 copy.jpg

IMG_2765.JPG

IMG_2766.JPG

Update:
After reading @szukalski's recent build report and the mods he made from this post by @Chuck D. Bones, our resident circuit wizard, I decided to revisit this pedal.

I liked the pedal as built but it was way too loud and way too much gain for my tastes. I didn't the the "from clean to scream" bit. It was from scream to screamier.......

When my brother was trying to find a couple of different drives that cover the territory from the Doobies to Allman brothers in his cover band, I sent him this pedal to try. Couple months later he sent it back, too much gain and too loud heh.

After reading Chuck's post and @szukalski's build report I decided to do the mods and see if it could be more usable. I didn't have time for a full build yesterday and this was some nice bit of bench time fix.

So I swapped the B50k gain and volume knobs for log pots (A50K) wow what a difference, as reported by other folks, LOTS more usable volume and gain now. You can dial it into lower gain territory where I think it sounds great! Unity has been pushed up quite a bit, depending on where the toggles are it can be as high as noon now.

I also pulled the OPA2134's and put in a set of 4558's. I just don't get the use of 2134's in overdrives, I have yet to hear an overdrive that benefits from all the advance hi fidelity features of the BB opamp. As expected, the pedal sounds GREAT with the 4558's. And I added two more OPA2134's back to inventory:)

Finally, while I had it apart doing the mods, I decided to paint the enclosure. I was originally going for that "Ethos look" with the bare metal and faceplate, but I decided since I was giving this pedal a new lease on life I'd give it a full makeover. Looking inside the enclosure back I see that I had built this 3/27/2022. So I think I was only about a month or so into building pedals at that point. And it shows how much my builds have evolved. I resisted the temptation to re-wire everything heheh, and let it stand as a testament to my pedal building journey.

Anyway, here's the new look. Very very much like this pedal now!

IMG_3840.JPG

Mine was the 1st Edition that has Buffered Bypass & it had the same issue!
I swapped to the Log pot after a Revisit also!
It also had a jump in Volume in Bypass, that was corrected by a resistor swap.
It was corrected for the version you have.

That red is a definite upgrade! It’s interesting how much a taper change can change the whole feel of a pedal. Is this one going back to your brother or is this a keeper now?

That red is a definite upgrade! It’s interesting how much a taper change can change the whole feel of a pedal. Is this one going back to your brother or is this a keeper now?
Nope, it's a keeper. My brother is extremely happy with the BB Preamp and AC Booster I built for him. Those and the Paragon I built for him are his pedal board dirt staples. His problem is that as a cover band they cover a TON of oldies and he needs to be able to go from Doobies to Hendrix during a set without bending over and tweaking knobs.

So I told him "buy a Aural or a Helix, and pre-program your whole set....." He said, "Yah but I LOVE these boutique pedals you're building me and everyone always comes up after the set to tell me how great my guitars sounds......" :ROFLMAO:

Nice!! Funnily enough, I was tempted to go red with this build as wel. Great to see how it turned out.

I still feel it’s not the go-to choice for low gain, but it’s always fun nonetheless.

Back