Diablo 3! 3D Printing with PedalPCB's Angry Charles

fydo

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Haven't been building much lately (life's been keeping me busy) so I figured I'd post an older build from last year that I really enjoyed.

Angry-Charles-Front.jpg Angry-Charles-Inside.jpg

This was a fun build! For the 3D printed part, I found a 3D model online of Diablo from the game Diablo 3, I rendered it in Blender as a grayscale depth map and used that as a basis for a "relief" type of 3D texture (where the height of each pixel is determined by its black/white value). After getting it printed and glued to the enclosure everything else was fairly straightforward. As you can see in the last image, I mounted the clipping diode LEDs inside of the eyes. I know it's generally not a good idea to have clipping diodes externally mounted (I've read that there is a photovoltaic effect where a bright light like the sun can affect the clipping behavior of the diode. I haven't noticed any difference personally though) It's so fun to have reactive lighting, especially on such a cool sounding pedal.
Also I just had to include the gold Marshall knobs as an homage to the pedal's inspiration (Since the Angry Charles is essentially a Marshall JCM800 emulator)
I hope you're all having a great week!

A few WIP shots and a final image showing the clipping LEDs in action:

Angry-Charles-3D.jpg Angry-Charles-WIP.jpg Angry-Charles-Lights-On.jpg

I second that! fuckin rad! very well done! i've been wanting to spring for a 3d printer to do cool shit like this. I want to make pedal that looks like castle greyskull. but i digress. nice work!

giphy.webp

That's amazing.
I'm amazed.

As you can see in the last image, I mounted the clipping diode LEDs inside of the eyes. I know it's generally not a good idea to have clipping diodes externally mounted (I've read that there is a photovoltaic effect where a bright light like the sun can affect the clipping behavior of the diode. I haven't noticed any difference personally though) It's so fun to have reactive lighting, especially on such a cool sounding pedal.
Flashing LEDs on the outside of enclosures definitely make you a better guitar player. that outways the photovolatic effect

Back