Digital Microscopes

RetiredUnit1

Been looking at digital microscopes for the past two days.... My goodness, what a plethora of choices. Anyone use one of these for working with SMD and just generally other stuff as well? Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards the one at the top..... Although the latest versions use the Sony IMX334 cmos, which is supposed to be much clearer..... and expensive.....

1668047413763.png

I could never get the hang of soldering without looking at my hands, so I couldn't get used to the digital microscope I tried. I bought one of these 4 years ago and it's been excellent, absolutely zero complaints about it. Great for soldering SMD, modifying traces, and general board inspection.

I could never get the hang of soldering without looking at my hands, so I couldn't get used to the digital microscope I tried. I bought one of these 4 years ago and it's been excellent, absolutely zero complaints about it. Great for soldering SMD, modifying traces, and general board inspection.

I use one of the more traditional looking amscope binoculars—but would prefer this style of mount. It took a bit of getting used to, but especially on denser builds and 0603 parts, it was a game changer. The depth perception using both eyes seems to be a big part of it to me.

I found some really good prices on the industrial ccd camera alone with 4k resolution. The software comes with rotate and flip so the items will not be mirror imaged, i.e. you move to the left the screen moves to the left, you move up the screen moves up. So I can get a boom stand, a 144 led "stereo"-ish LED (not really stereo image, but looks stereo), the camera and a 180x zoom (from fisheye to high mag) lens for about $300.
The camera has state of the art Sony low light 4k IMX334 sensor and I can use it as a security cam when it's not being used as a microscope (with a wider fisheye). The camera was released in 2022 by Hayear, and can accepted up to 128G TF memory card.

So my $300 investment will be more than a one trick pony. Funny I looked at the Kits and upwards to $450 still didn't have all the stuff I wanted, so I'm rolling my own for a substantial savings....

1668096145079.png

I've had my "eye" on this one..any feedback is welcomed.

I've had my "eye" on this one..any feedback is welcomed.

Well I hmm'd and haaa'd and wondered which way to go, I saw all the rest of the jewelry equipment on their site and as a hobby geologist and rockhound I'm drawn towards that as well.

I have thousands of pounds of jewelry grade rock I've gathered over the decades...Obsidian, Jasper, Malachite, Australian agate, Jade, Tiger eye (and did you know that Tiger Eye is fossilized asbestos?), Brazilian agate, petrified wood, and on and on...

I've been making Jewelry since my dad taught me how to silver solder when I was 11, back in 1967. I have a lost wax casting setup, and do wrought silver as well. I dunno, guess I'll find out because I checked out my eBay shopping cart this morning!!!!

I took money out of my 401k to make life easier and 'cus I've been saving for all this time and it's about damn time to start spending it before I'm *really* too old to enjoy it!!!

I'm going to also get a new, light weight digital oscilloscope and retire the boat anchor I've used for the past 20 years. And like I'm totally trying to NOT BUY ANOTHER GUITAR. I don't even have anywhere to store more, lol.

Well I hmm'd and haaa'd and wondered which way to go, I saw all the rest of the jewelry equipment on their site and as a hobby geologist and rockhound I'm drawn towards that as well.

I have thousands of pounds of jewelry grade rock I've gathered over the decades...Obsidian, Jasper, Malachite, Australian agate, Jade, Tiger eye (and did you know that Tiger Eye is fossilized asbestos?), Brazilian agate, petrified wood, and on and on...

I've been making Jewelry since my dad taught me how to silver solder when I was 11, back in 1967. I have a lost wax casting setup, and do wrought silver as well. I dunno, guess I'll find out because I checked out my eBay shopping cart this morning!!!!

I took money out of my 401k to make life easier and 'cus I've been saving for all this time and it's about damn time to start spending it before I'm *really* too old to enjoy it!!!

I'm going to also get a new, light weight digital oscilloscope and retire the boat anchor I've used for the past 20 years. And like I'm totally trying to NOT BUY ANOTHER GUITAR. I don't even have anywhere to store more, lol.

I buy my hobby tools here.

Reactions: fig
@fig After grabbing the link for Grizzly I made the mistake of actually LOOKING at stuff I needed for my drill press. I've been using antique all wood vises that my dad got sometime around 1930, lol. These are going to work great for drilling enclosures....

1668137852812.png

Back
Top Bottom