Does solder go bad?

scheffehcs

A8C0AEFC-2D19-4714-985B-F04F6FB07B57.jpeg Ran out of my own solder at work, went digging and found these old spools. The bottom one has a spotty oxidized look to it. Should I stay away from this stuff? Thanks!

Haha. Thanks guys. Ended up avoiding the crummy looking stuff. The top one is definitely 60/40 rosin core, thick as hell though. Used it for a few joints but it was a bit too unwieldy. First thing I did when I got home from work was to put new solder in my backpack for tomorrow!

I just ordered my first replacement pound spool of the main solder I use, SN62. The first spool is down to the last few ounces. I must’ve bought it in the early 80s. Still very shiny, the flux is as active as on the other “special” solders (usually just means it’s .015 diam. or something).

Some of the old solder has a distinctly "vintage" bouquet. Some of it seems to have a higher melting point as well, but once it flows, it works (no idea about the molecular bond) like brand new even in 70-80yr old amplifiers.
I think the lead oxide vaporizes at melting point, which is a great reason not to use old oxidized solder. I have a Weller soldering air cleaner and only solder with it on and another fan in the room and the whole house A/C filtering fan turned to high (which is like 4000 cfm) with electro-static filters that remove smoke, viruses and cat pee smell just to avoid b b b br bbr brrr brain damage during soldering..... :cool:

I think the lead oxide vaporizes at melting point, which is a great reason not to use old oxidized solder. I have a Weller soldering air cleaner and only solder with it on and another fan in the room and the whole house A/C filtering fan turned to high (which is like 4000 cfm) with electro-static filters that remove smoke, viruses and cat pee smell just to avoid b b b br bbr brrr brain damage during soldering..... :cool:
That does sound like a great reason. I have the little fan with a carbon-infused sponge to pull some of the fumes away and D-Lead soap to clean up, but more is better.

I was wondering the same thing today. Somebody found some cases of leaded solder from before my work went ROHS and asked me if I wanted them. Now I've got 50lbs of Kester 44 just as I was running low...
View attachment 39264

A friend of mine who does aerospace grade soldering tech work gets expired spools from his workplace but the oldest he's sent me was dated 2014 IIRC. Lots of different formulations, but that right there in .020 is our favorite. I've been playing with PB62 SN36 AG 02 / 285 lately as well, it seems to work especially well for SMT stuff.

Back