Dwarven hammer gate.

Building this up right now , noticed it doesn't have the gate knob.

Is it implemented as one of the resistors to make it a variable pot for the gate ?

This is a hybrid design somewhere in between the two pedals it was inspired by.

It does not have gate circuitry, but it has all of the other controls which aren't present in the 1590A pedal.

Resistors (1/4W)
1 100R
1 220R
4 1K
1 3K9
1 4K7
8 10K
2 510K
1 1M

Potentiometers
1 B5K
1 A500K
1 A100K

Capacitors
1 47p
1 120p
1 27n
1 33n
1 47n
1 68n
1 82n
3 100n
3 220n
1 330n
1 470n
2 1u
1 10u
1 47u
1 100u

Semiconductors
2 1N4148
1 1N5817
1 JRC4558DD
2 2N3904

Switches
1 1P8T (https://pedalpcb.com/product/mini-1p8t/)

PedalPCB, I haven't found this one online, did you trace it yourself? If so, can you shed some light on what the gate knob on the original does, and why it wasn't added to the pedalPCB version?

I was kind of excited to see the schematic on this one given the buzz around it, but was a bit disappointed (from a technincal standpoint) to see it looks like a tubescreamer with a few parts changes. What's more, most of these part changes were already similarly implemented on the EQD Palisades (rotary switch for bass filters, 1k on 1st op amp inverting pin the Vref (for higher gain), 5k tone pot). Can you give any comment as to if it sounds basically like a TS with higher gain possible and some voicing options (not that that is a bad thing)? Or, if there's something else going on that I missed. And, thanks for all the readily available schematics and user-friendly projects!

I did some back tracing myself and it's pretty much another TS clone tone wise with the rotary cap.

Its alright with my 5150 but there's better

PedalPCB, I haven't found this one online, did you trace it yourself? If so, can you shed some light on what the gate knob on the original does, and why it wasn't added to the pedalPCB version?

There's more to it than just a knob, it's a complete gate circuit on a second PCB stacked underneath the overdrive PCB.

Ok now I understand that the Horizon Precision Drive is essentially two effects in one, a high gain overdrive, and a noise gate. And the Dwarfen Hammer is the overdrive part. I guess initially I was expecting the gate function to be more integrated into the drive circuit, like some sort of transistor gated fuzz so I was curious to see it. Thanks everyone for the comments.

If I am not mistaken, the Dwarven Hammer is based on the Horizon Devices Nano Attack which does not have gate circuit. Only Precision Drive and Apex Preamp have the gate circuit.

Back