EEPROM programming hardware

Paradox916

Here is a question for those of you that program their own EEPROMs for the FV1, what programmer are you using? Anyone use the EZP20xx series and have had luck with it?

I'm using the SpinSemi FV-1 Development Board. It connects to a PC via USB and I use the SpinASM interface to push patches in groups of 8 directly to the EEPROM on the FV-1 Dev Brd. I also have PedalPCB's "FV-1 Development PCB" and built it out, but I've not yet boxed or worked with it. The PedalPCB FV-1 Development PCB sales page has links to the instructions for 3 different OS platforms.

I also havre an EZP2019 EEPROM gizmo, but only use that to rip data from EEPROMs. I've never tried to push data to an EEPOM with it. So no help there.

I'm using the SpinSemi FV-1 Development Board. It connects to a PC via USB and I use the SpinASM interface to push patches in groups of 8 directly to the EEPROM on the FV-1 Dev Brd. I also have PedalPCB's "FV-1 Development PCB" and built it out, but I've not yet boxed or worked with it. The PedalPCB FV-1 Development PCB sales page has links to the instructions for 3 different OS platforms.

I also havre an EZP2019 EEPROM gizmo, but only use that to rip data from EEPROMs. I've never tried to push data to an EEPOM with it. So no help there.
Nice, I was curious about the EZP20xx devices because it seems like a cheaper way than buying or building a dev board.

Nice, I was curious about the EZP20xx devices because it seems like a cheaper way than buying or building a dev board.
Other folks have gotten a lot more mileage out of their EZP20xx devices than I have. I read posts where they use the EZP20xx for programming EEPROMs too. I just never got into that aspect of the device's software or full capabilities. Still, no matter device one uses fro programming an FV-1 EEPROM, it takes a good bit of reading and trial & error to sorting the ins and outs of pushing a bank of patches into an EEPROM. I just found that using the SpinASM interface and the SpinSemi FV-1 Dev Brd was the easiest manor to do so. It is however one of the more expensive ways. I just don't know HOW to get the EZP20xx device to push data into an EEPROM.

Other folks have gotten a lot more mileage out of their EZP20xx devices than I have. I read posts where they use the EZP20xx for programming EEPROMs too. I just never got into that aspect of the device's software or full capabilities. Still, no matter device one uses fro programming an FV-1 EEPROM, it takes a good bit of reading and trial & error to sorting the ins and outs of pushing a bank of patches into an EEPROM. I just found that using the SpinASM interface and the SpinSemi FV-1 Dev Brd was the easiest manor to do so. It is however one of the more expensive ways. I just don't know HOW to get the EZP20xx device to push data into an EEPROM.
Interesting, I wonder if asm and the EZP20xx is directly compatible.

I use this cheap CH341a thing I got on amazon for all my EEPROM burning needs.

View attachment 49169
Very cool that was another I was looking at, what software are you using with it?

I do not believe ASM and the EZP20xx are compatible. Nothing in the reading I've done indicated that.
I couldn’t find any info on that ether, ( not that I looked too deep)I think this is a good conversation to have here, as I wasn’t finding too much on the subject pertaining exclusively to our use of the hardware and software, buiiding the dev board is a good idea as a second step but it’s an expensive endeavor for someone who has zero experience and want to get their feet wet with little monetary risk, There seems to be a fair amount of people playing with digital and coding, but there seems to be what feels like ether some unintentional gate keeping or lack of interest in answering questions , so hopefully this widens the path to seeing more activity in this arena. In short I wanted to say thanks for engaging in this and shedding some light on the subject as this is enabling me to chase the rabbit a little easier.

I couldn’t find any info on that ether, ( not that I looked too deep)I think this is a good conversation to have here, as I wasn’t finding too much on the subject pertaining exclusively to our use of the hardware and software, buiiding the dev board is a good idea as a second step but it’s an expensive endeavor for someone who has zero experience and want to get their feet wet with little monetary risk, There seems to be a fair amount of people playing with digital and coding, but there seems to be what feels like ether some unintentional gate keeping or lack of interest in answering questions , so hopefully this widens the path to seeing more activity in this arena. In short I wanted to say thanks for engaging in this and shedding some light on the subject as this is enabling me to chase the rabbit a little easier.
It really breaks down to the following:

1. No programmer other that the Spin dev board is compatible with the SpinASM s/w directly.
2. Any programmer that can read Intel HEX format files and is able to program 24LC32A EEPROM will work
3. From SpinASM you need to make a project (see PDF on making a project) with the programs you want to put in the EEPROM and make sure that the "IntelHEX" box is checked on the project dialog and click "Build" to make the hex file.
4. In the programming s/w that came with the programmer select the device as 24LC32A and read in the hex file built in step 3
5. After it burns the EEPROM put it in the circuit and test it.

As far as what cheap programmer to use, that is something you will have to research as they are changing all the time. As mentioned above the two requirements are it can read Intel HEX files (99% of programmer s/w can) and can write to a 24LC32A

It really breaks down to the following:

1. No programmer other that the Spin dev board is compatible with the SpinASM s/w directly.
2. Any programmer that can read Intel HEX format files and is able to program 24LC32A EEPROM will work
3. From SpinASM you need to make a project (see PDF on making a project) with the programs you want to put in the EEPROM and make sure that the "IntelHEX" box is checked on the project dialog and click "Build" to make the hex file.
4. In the programming s/w that came with the programmer select the device as 24LC32A and read in the hex file built in step 3
5. After it burns the EEPROM put it in the circuit and test it.

As far as what cheap programmer to use, that is something you will have to research as they are changing all the time. As mentioned above the two requirements are it can read Intel HEX files (99% of programmer s/w can) and can write to a 24LC32A
Really good info, I have an inexpensive programmer coming, planning to start off by trying some patches off gut hub, once I have that down moving to spinCAD then try my hand at ASM.

I don't think it would hurt to try using the SpinASM interface to push to the EZP20xx device. Worst-case scenario is that it just won't work.

Perhaps that cheap CH341thing that vigilante398 posted, with ASprogrammer would be a less expensive approach. But I've no experience there to provide assistance.

I felt the SpinSemi FV-1 Developer's Board was the easiest because the FV-1 Dev Brd fires up right out of box, easily connects to a PC and works directly and easily with the SpinASM interface.

I also havre an EZP2019 EEPROM gizmo, but only use that to rip data from EEPROMs. I've never tried to push data to an EEPOM with it. So no help there.G
Hey Cybercow,
So maybe it's my complete ignorance to coding (the extent of my experience is flashing a new OS to a piece of digital gear like a synth or pedal using SysEx Librarian but I certainly didn't write the code) but the "instructions" for the Dev Board being this page: (https://wiki.pedalpcb.com/wiki/Using_the_FV1Dev_on_Apple_macOS) might as well be a post-it note that says "figure it out yourself dummy"

I dont even know where to begin once the board is built. I have all the parts, the correct eprom chips and an imac running catalina. Any next steps or advice?
Anyone else feel free to chime in

Hey Cybercow,
So maybe it's my complete ignorance to coding (the extent of my experience is flashing a new OS to a piece of digital gear like a synth or pedal using SysEx Librarian but I certainly didn't write the code) but the "instructions" for the Dev Board being this page: (https://wiki.pedalpcb.com/wiki/Using_the_FV1Dev_on_Apple_macOS) might as well be a post-it note that says "figure it out yourself dummy"

I dont even know where to begin once the board is built. I have all the parts, the correct eprom chips and an imac running catalina. Any next steps or advice?
Anyone else feel free to chime in
Did you download the FV1Dev Bundle for macOS? The amount of reading required to achieve success is significant. There's a link buried on that Wiki page.

I wrote a few lines about my experiments with different hardware

The usage notes for macOS seems to contain everything that needs to be done when using a CH341a adapter. BUT I don't own a macOS device to prove it...

If you get the adapter with the black socket posted above then chekc if it supports 3,3V SDA/SCL lines because then you could leave the EEPROM in the Pedal and solder some wires to the PCB. If it uses 5V for high/low on SDA/SCL then your FV-1 could get damaged if you program the EEPROM while it stays in your pedal.

Last edited:
Back