Octave-Down [Collab Thread]

dagrider

Octave Down lovers: what are your favorite features of the Octave Down pedals on the market?

I've been coding an FV1 Octave Down effect and have had some real success reducing the apparent latency and modulation. For those of you that don't know, the "Crossfade Delay" method of Pitch Shifting has substantial latency and inherent modulation. Both the lag and warble are variable and dependent on the delay pointer position, so by layering pitch shifts with different offsets, I've minimized both and have an effect that sounds NORMAL. Can it stand up to the Octave Down on the POG, PS6 or DROP? I'm not sure but I think you guys will be impressed.

I'm still tweaking it but plan to release it here for free when done. Anyone with a Pythagoras and enough knowledge to flash an EEPROM will be able to use it. So give me your feature suggestions below in chat. I'll try to code them, see how they sound, and maybe include them in the final version.

I may not specifically be a fan of Octave-Down, but I do love playing with FV-1 patches. The learning curve seems endless. I'm able to flash EEPROMs and work well with SpinCAD Designer, and can dabble with SpinASM.

Are you willing to share your patch(es)? And if so, in what format are you doing the coding?

Do you think your latency improvements could also apply to 8va/15va pitch shifting up?

As far as features that are nice to have on an octave down, an adjustable crossover/threshold frequency is nice. Never seen it on a pedal that I can remember, but I’ve seen it on a handful of plugins. Probably just a very steep LPF right before the octave generation with adjustable cutoff frequency. Pretty much allows you to set a frequency where the octaver stops so you can sorta get it to only effect the low notes in your playing for comping a bass line while having upper chord voices unaffected

Some discussion over at the Spin Forum, looks similar. I'm interested to try it. I would even consider making it into a SpinCAD block unless you objected to such a thing. IIRC I didn't have as many problems with pitch down as up.

I did an auto-wah plus octave down but mixed in the pre-pitch shift signal just in case.

Some discussion over at the Spin Forum, looks similar. I'm interested to try it. I would even consider making it into a SpinCAD block unless you objected to such a thing. IIRC I didn't have as many problems with pitch down as up.

I did an auto-wah plus octave down but mixed in the pre-pitch shift signal just in case.

A block for that in SpinCAD would be awesome!

Back