El Sol - Hardwired

Nic

It's been a long time since I've posted a build here, it's only that life happens and I am left with less time to build, which means more quality family time.

I also felt that I no more know what I want to try building. For the El Sol, when Tayda started offering their new gold enclosures, I wanted to get my hand on one (now I want another one for my animato still waiting on the small pile) and the first thing that came to mind was "Acapulco Gold". I looked in my parts and already had everything except for a pot ... WOW, that's a low cost build for once.

I wanted to try hardwiring for some time, as some mentioned here, shipping from Mr. PCB to Canada is a luxury ... @Robert, is there a way to send you a contribution for your really appreciated work here, I feel bad for taking your schematics and give you nada. But I may end up ordering the PCB... hardwiring this left it kind of noisy, I'll need to revisit my soldering, especially around the IC's that I did not wanted to fry but I feel my power input may suffer cold soldering.

The build went... crowded... to say the least. I planned a lot and thanks to a post of someone here on another forum, I was able to build top jack with power on that small 1590B, that was a first try in that format. Planning the battery to have it's place and not move was also challenging. I did a few DIYLC layouts before feeling comfortable to start drilling and wiring. First few wires was easy... it quickly became some kind of a mess, mostly because I wanted it finished and went the wrong way with the IC's. I should have wired them and the most components around them before attaching it to the ground bus, pot and input. Overall I'm satisfied with the end result, it could have become a complete failure.

The better part, my only mistake was mixing the ground and ring on the input jack, which I found as soon as I put the battery in, not fun to correct once the pedal was finished, but I managed. It fired right up, and apart from being noisy, it works as expected. Surely a keeper !

20230518_100442.jpg

20230518_100502.jpg

It's been a long time since I've posted a build here, it's only that life happens and I am left with less time to build, which means more quality family time.

I also felt that I no more know what I want to try building. For the El Sol, when Tayda started offering their new gold enclosures, I wanted to get my hand on one (now I want another one for my animato still waiting on the small pile) and the first thing that came to mind was "Acapulco Gold". I looked in my parts and already had everything except for a pot ... WOW, that's a low cost build for once.

I wanted to try hardwiring for some time, as some mentioned here, shipping from Mr. PCB to Canada is a luxury ... @Robert, is there a way to send you a contribution for your really appreciated work here, I feel bad for taking your schematics and give you nada. But I may end up ordering the PCB... hardwiring this left it kind of noisy, I'll need to revisit my soldering, especially around the IC's that I did not wanted to fry but I feel my power input may suffer cold soldering.

The build went... crowded... to say the least. I planned a lot and thanks to a post of someone here on another forum, I was able to build top jack with power on that small 1590B, that was a first try in that format. Planning the battery to have it's place and not move was also challenging. I did a few DIYLC layouts before feeling comfortable to start drilling and wiring. First few wires was easy... it quickly became some kind of a mess, mostly because I wanted it finished and went the wrong way with the IC's. I should have wired them and the most components around them before attaching it to the ground bus, pot and input. Overall I'm satisfied with the end result, it could have become a complete failure.

The better part, my only mistake was mixing the ground and ring on the input jack, which I found as soon as I put the battery in, not fun to correct once the pedal was finished, but I managed. It fired right up, and apart from being noisy, it works as expected. Surely a keeper !

View attachment 48889

View attachment 48890
Welcome to the dark side...

Really beautiful design and execution. The deep metallic brown is so lovely with the gold! What is it? The thickness makes me think cut vinyl, but the thin lettering seems implausible with vinyl…

Really beautiful design and execution. The deep metallic brown is so lovely with the gold! What is it? The thickness makes me think cut vinyl, but the thin lettering seems implausible with vinyl…
Tayda UV print. It is in fact black.
I did a white layer or everything, black on tp with matte clear ... the thickness is indeed impressive, it looks almost like thick plastic.

All kinds of mad sexy right there!

No wonder so many cultures worship EL SOL!

This build is full of solar flare.

Hmmm I think I'll call my build just that, Solar Flare. Thank you for such an inspiring build!

• Love
Reactions: Nic
Back