Electrovibe

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I finally figured out the issues and finished up this build. It's amazing how fine tuned the bias, gain and dry and wet signal mix resistor sections are. I ended up making some minor adjustments to tweak the gain and bias easier and I did the effect (dry/wet) mix trimmer to get a slightly deeper swoosh and throb. I did the input unity mod as well but put it on dip switch so I can go back and forth because I found that fuzz pedals more to my liking with the original input impedance. There's a couple other tweaks I made from digging over some older schematics of the honey vs shin-ei versions and other forum findings. And then the photocell distance to the lamp was super important too. I even tried two different homemade light box covers (one reflective and one white) producing very different results. There are so may key areas of this design that add up to the final univibe sound. I definitely want to make more but I need a break, lol. This think consumed my life for a little while haha.

IMG_3015.jpeg IMG_3028.jpeg

Looks great! I built a Duophase with light covers (black plastic) and I wondered about whether I should have painted them white on the inside.

Did you pull the light box for the photo? Or did you decide you preferred the sound without it?

It seemed to respond just fine without the light box cover. Internally one was white and the other was chrome (which sounded better). If I remember I seemed to be able to get the same response of the chrome lightbox and no lightbox by adjusting the distance of the photocells and adjusting the bias so I decided to leave it off.

Nice build.
I'd be interested in your mods but I also need a rest after this pedal consumed a ton of my time. I'm just happy mine sounds great, I don't want to tweak it anymore.
I mounted the photocells flat. I made a makeshift light shield out of tape but I don't think it made a difference. Worth making a sturdy one with reflecting material if I can find some.

Nice build.
I'd be interested in your mods but I also need a rest after this pedal consumed a ton of my time. I'm just happy mine sounds great, I don't want to tweak it anymore.
I mounted the photocells flat. I made a makeshift light shield out of tape but I don't think it made a difference. Worth making a sturdy one with reflecting material if I can find some.
Thanks. There is an electrovibe thread that I used here in pedalpcb and one of the main contributors was (I forget the name) @bmonk/@badmonk... something like that. Then you can look online for a version called "the forum vibe" and it's a community collaboration and it's solid with 3 or 4 versions. I also tried the photocells straight up but I think it's gonna depend on the type of photocell being used because of their resistance specs.

Thanks. There is an electrovibe thread that I used here in pedalpcb and one of the main contributors was (I forget the name) @bmonk/@badmonk... something like that. Then you can look online for a version called "the forum vibe" and it's a community collaboration and it's solid with 3 or 4 versions. I also tried the photocells straight up but I think it's gonna depend on the type of photocell being used because of their resistance specs.
@Big Monk 's the man and he's the baddest monk in the business (in a good way)

Back