Enclosure layout... without POTS to mount to.

Rpschultz13

I'm working on a guitar tuner pedal using ESP32 (built in OLED). The OLED (in Red below) will protrude through the top, but there are no pots to mount to. So I'm wondering if there are other ways fasten a circuit board to an enclosure. Off the cuff I was going to drill some holes in the (green) circuit board and use 15mm stand offs to bolt it to the top. Unfortunately then the 3mm screws are sticking out the top.

Ideas? Suggestions?

1722203881778.png

Get some thing more decorative than screws with Phillips heads;
find bolts with hex or knurled bits...

1-DSCF4710_700x700.jpg

These 3mm threaded adhesive backed standoffs are nice from Amplified Parts... but expensive ($0.95 ea)
Cute! Very nice. Here's the manufacturer webpage:
Maybe someone else has them for less.

Adhesive mounts stick best to clean, fairly smooth surfaces of metal or paint - less so to dirty, rough, or chalky surfaces (e.g., a poorly bonded primer). So pick the right surface and wipe it clean w/ alcohol (and let it dry) prior to sticking them in place. I've had good results with them for typical stompbox PCBs, since I'm not throwing them against walls or such.

EDIT: if you or a friend has a 3D printer, you could easily make those Takachi standoffs - after printing the base, then use your soldering iton to insert threaded inserts made for thermoplastic - just print the right size hole for the chosen insert. I use these all the time for projects:
The resulting plastic mount could then be glued to your enclosure with silicone glue or HTV. If you design/print some small "lines" or "pits" into the underside of your 3D printed mount, the glue will adhere even better.

Last edited:
Good news- the ones Darwin999 linked do not require mounting holes. You line the mounts up in such a way that when you put in the PCB in, it passes that edge sticking out and clicks into place. Then it rests on that lip where it gets narrower.

Cute! Thanks for pointing those out! Very useful idea.
Although I may look for another vendor for those, they seem expensive especially with shipping...

Note added: or make/drill my own, cut from a larger PCB...

Tidy and useful. They are expensive for what they are. Same with the AES PCB clips haha. If you find a cheaper source for either please link it here :)

Back