favorite Echoplex preamp PCBs?

drgonzo1969

I've been looking to add an echoplex preamp/boost circuit of some sort to my arsenal. What are your favorite PCBs? I have my eye on Pedalpcb Episod booster.

The Clandestine Preamp sounds pretty good, although I haven't compared it to anything else. I get some hiss from it, but it might also be due to not being boxed yet.

I know you're asking for a PCB, but these are so easy to build on vero, and sound great. Here's a layout, and my build:

Echoplex+EP3+Preamp+-+Early+Version+II.png
IMG_0470[25385].jpg

I’ve never done Vero before. But I’ve been looking into it. I guess this is as good a jumping off point as any.

I've built most of them! And I use a commercially-built Chase Tone Secret Preamp on my board at the moment. Though if you swapped it with any of the other ones I have (PPCB Clandestine, Aion Ares, PPCB Episode, MBP EpiPen) without telling me, I'm not sure I'd know... They all add that little something. I'm not sure what it is, but it just sounds better with one on. Most of them don't give you a huge volume boost, but that's not really their purpose. I do tend to like the versions with the high/mid/low voicing switch, as it becomes more versatile depending on the guitar or amp you're using.

I have to concur, I think the Chase Tone Secret Preamp is the best sounding of the bunch. I wound up trying to match the components on my build as Chase Tone did with Orange Drop caps, etc.

This was an early build for me, I cringe when looking at the gut shots.....pretty messy.

Back