Finishing Pedals

chris.knudson

I'm relatively new here, but I was wondering if there is a thread or discussion board about finishing pedals (i.e. applying graphics, etching, screen printing, etc. I've built a couple dozen pedals now. I'm decent at soldering (getting better with every build) - I'm excellent at desoldering (made my share of mistakes and learned a lot, so if you need advice, I'm your guy) - I'm ok with circuits (learning every day), but I suck at finishing pedals. Is there a place on this forum where I can learn tips, techniques, and tricks of the trade for producing professional looking pedals -- please help.

I really wish I wouldn’t bought 30 different colors of spray paint for painting enclosures and just bought the powder coated ones from Tayda since the beginning. I probably would’ve saved money and countless hours. Maybe a few brain cells too.

As far as graphics go the waterslide works pretty well. But I could never get the wow I see frok the uv printed ones. I am currently working through the winter soldiers (guardians of the analog) and figolfens tutorials on those. Good tayda uv printing and the YouTube videos for winter soldiers pops up. He shows how to do it using affinity which is nice if your work doesn’t provide you an Adobe subscription you never use for work lol.

Last edited:
There are several tutorial threads out there here’s one:
https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/enclosure-waterslide-decal-tutorial-journal-tips.17499/
I know there are at least two by Gaurdians of the Analog one on no film waterslide and even one for Tayda uv finishing but I’ll let you dig around the forum for those, only the first one is free🤣
Thank you. I've been using waterslides for almost all of my builds. I recently tried Avery 4397 Glossy Sticker Project Paper, which at first seemed to be ok, but way too many bubbles in the finish -- for the record, I do not recommend this for powered coated enclosures. I've watched a lot of videos about etching, but that seems a little caustic for me. Lately, I'm interested in laser etching -- anybody had any success with that?

lol ive been here for a bit and i still suck at finishing pedals.
im one of those sad cunts that just punches a few dymo labels and calls it a day.
might start looking into this film free waterslide stuff though... if i can avoid the bullshit stringent requirements of a UV print I might actually have a chance at building a barely acceptable pedal one day :ROFLMAO:

lol ive been here for a bit and i still suck at finishing pedals.
im one of those sad cunts that just punches a few dymo labels and calls it a day.
might start looking into this film free waterslide stuff though... if i can avoid the bullshit stringent requirements of a UV print I might actually have a chance at building a barely acceptable pedal one day :ROFLMAO:
I’ve got a few dymo pedals. At some point I got inspired by @MichaelW and just remember on overdrives top left is volume top right is gain. Etc etc.

I’ve spent probably 2-3 hours now trying to figure out illustrator. Making some headway hoping to do a basic uv here with my next tayda order.

Thank you. I've been using waterslides for almost all of my builds. I recently tried Avery 4397 Glossy Sticker Project Paper, which at first seemed to be ok, but way too many bubbles in the finish -- for the record, I do not recommend this for powered coated enclosures. I've watched a lot of videos about etching, but that seems a little caustic for me. Lately, I'm interested in laser etching -- anybody had any success with that?
There have been a few here using laser engravers. Here’s one
https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/lightburn-and-a-laser-engraver-question.14191/
I have attempted electro etching with some success, but getting a good voltage source was a bit of an issue for me.

Attachments

• IMG_8459.jpeg
    IMG_8459.jpeg
    479.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8458.jpeg
    IMG_8458.jpeg
    427.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8457.jpeg
    IMG_8457.jpeg
    404.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8456.jpeg
    IMG_8456.jpeg
    332.9 KB · Views: 29
Awesome stuff. I know it's not cheap, but I've been curious if it's worth the investment. Which laser engraver are you using? What's its wattage?
It’s worth it if you’re interested in lasering other stuff too, I use it for wood projects and guitars. I started with a Pergear S10 (10w) and it worked OK and got the job done, as long as I wasn’t engraving Sand Textured enclosures from Tayda, so I upgraded this year to Atomstack S20 Pro (20w) and it works amazing, I couldn’t be happier, especially getting it for 500$ on eBay

It’s worth it if you’re interested in lasering other stuff too, I use it for wood projects and guitars. I started with a Pergear S10 (10w) and it worked OK and got the job done, as long as I wasn’t engraving Sand Textured enclosures from Tayda, so I upgraded this year to Atomstack S20 Pro (20w) and it works amazing, I couldn’t be happier, especially getting it for 500$ on eBay
Awesome. That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I have been looking at 10W lasers, and I wasn't sure if I would be satisfied with that or not.

Back