Getting a PCB made from a gerber

Ya oil can delay is definitely something I have been looking to add to my collection. I threw the catalinbread tel rey delay on the wish list a few months ago.

Are these SMD(T) boards you’re making? It would be worth it for them to come assembled, for me any way. My eye sight is horrid.

I was just looking at that Oil Can Delay the other day. Looks pretty cool.
Ya oil can delay is definitely something I have been looking to add to my collection. I threw the catalinbread tel rey delay on the wish list a few months ago.
Either of you want me to throw one of my DTR extras in with your VFE stuff? $1

Are these SMD(T) boards you’re making? It would be worth it for them to come assembled, for me any way. My eye sight is horrid.
Neither one I had fabbed so far has SMD parts. There is one, I was going to throw in the VFE order that is mostly SMD, but I didn't because I wanted to get it assembled. With the oven I am going to get, it may not be as bad, but I may still try to create the file needed for assembly anyway.

I was looking at one that is smd which I would do the pre assembled but it’s two sided. 50$ for 5 boards it looks like with components in both sides. Annoying I might still do it though. Just not sure what I’ll do with the extra boards.

Either of you want me to throw one of my DTR extras in with your VFE stuff? $1

Neither one I had fabbed so far has SMD parts. There is one, I was going to throw in the VFE order that is mostly SMD, but I didn't because I wanted to get it assembled. With the oven I am going to get, it may not be as bad, but I may still try to create the file needed for assembly anyway.
Ya that would be rad

I was looking at one that is smd which I would do the pre assembled but it’s two sided. 50$ for 5 boards it looks like with components in both sides. Annoying I might still do it though. Just not sure what I’ll do with the extra boards.
I went through the time and process of selecting resistors and caps for an SMD board, and each component had a $3 fee and it was about $65 for 5. I didn't do it, but it would be worth the time savings if you were in production I guess.

Scientific Guitarist's gerbers are in Github. Or at least that is where I found the DTR oil can delay and Percussor gerbers I had fabbed.

Which BTW, I have a few extras.
have you assembled any of those projects? and if so, what did you think about them?

Join us....

So this is what to learn if you want to design your own PCBs? Is the free version good enough?

Or try Kicad. Both are great options.

I've used EAGLE for most of my projects, but stopped because Autodesk is discontinuing it in favor of Fusion 360 (too complex to just use for PCBs).

Then I switched to EasyEDA, but it ties me too much to JLCPCB, that's the fab I'm using at the moment, but I want to be able to try others.

So It was between Diptrace of Kicad, and I decided for Kicad, because it has no limitations, and has great plugins. I got tired of limited versions of hobbyist programs.

So this is what to learn if you want to design your own PCBs? Is the free version good enough?
The free version is good enough for the vast majority of what we humble pedal builders will do. You're limited to two layers (top/bottom) and 300 pins per design. Most of the PedalPCB boards don't even exceed that.

Yep and yep.

The free version is good enough for the vast majority of what we humble pedal builders will do. You're limited to two layers (top/bottom) and 300 pins per design. Most of the PedalPCB boards don't even exceed that.

A free non-profit license will get you 500 pins if you need them.... although I highly doubt that's necessary for most analog pedal projects.

I don't think any of the single PedalPCB boards exceed the 300 pin threshold.

Back