Greengage Overdrive Build - The Dinos Had Way... Too... Much... Fun...

Fingolfen

I'll go ahead and admit it. I'd never actually tried the Earthquaker Devices Plumes pedal. I knew it was insanely popular with people buying multiple copies chasing some of the rarer enclosure colors. It was inexpensive as well at only around $100 US, and while you can build it for cheaper, I just had never gotten "around to it" - either from a purchase or a build standpoint. I'd seen some decent demos and it looked like a solid pedal, so I decided to go ahead and take the plunge with the Greengage Overdrive board, and honestly this is one of those builds that I'm kicking myself for not doing sooner...

PedalPCB Greengage OD - Plumes - SN01 - 01.jpg

As the Plumes is an inexpensive pedal, there is nothing exceptionally complex about the build. All of the parts are fairly basic, with no exotic magic diodes, rare transistors, or out of production IC's to add cost and complexity to the build. The circuit is also fairly straightforward with the distortion clipping being done by two 3mm red LEDs or three 1N4148 diodes on the silicon side. There are a pair of TL072 op amps and TC1044SCPA to handle the voltage switching. As always, I went with the highest quality parts I could justify in this build (1% Yageo / KAO Speer resistors, WIMA / Kemet capacitors, Nicicon Electrolytics). All of the ICs are socketed as well.

PedalPCB Greengage OD - Plumes - SN01 - 02.jpg

The hookup wiring follows my current best practice using a 3PDT daughter board from PedalPCB to run four strand ribbon cable between the switch and the main PCB itself. I'm using a star ground on the input jack. Both the input and output jacks have had their locator holes in the enclosure sanded back to expose metal so there is a solid ground to the enclosure itself. All of the connections on the DC jack and input/output jacks are covered in heat shrink tubing to protect them.

At this point I'm just using a standard true bypass 3PDT switch for the pedal. I have read that the original has a momentary switch that can be used as both instantaneous boost / distortion or tripped normally. I haven't played with the "real thing" (beyond seeing several YouTube demos to ensure I got the sound right) to see if that's true - so for any future pedals if that mod is possible I may go that route if it is.

So for the enclosure...

As it turns out, many dinosaurs which we originally thought of as scaly reptiles actually have more in common with birds. This was noted in the original Jurassic Park movie in the 1990s, but it wasn't until later that the fact that many dinosaurs, like the velociraptor, actually had feathers became well-known. So the "turkey" line from the original movie was actually more accurate than first realized!

PedalPCB Greengage OD - Plumes - SN01 - 03.jpg

So in honor of feathered dinosaurs and large predatory terror birds of ages past, I give you the "Plumage" overdrive! All of the art for this pedal is adapted from licensed Adobe stock images. At the bottom we have a friendly terror bird and velociraptor in a lovely pastoral setting as wispy clouds float overhead. I found a font that was close enough to the original Plumes font so the DNA of the pedal is clear...

More, including paleontology, at the blog...

Last edited:
Awesome build and yes this seems to be a real sleeper pedal. Not being a "TS" fan myself, I too was really surprised how much I like this pedal. It's like what a TS "should" be. I had the Plumes in my Amazon cart for like years, deciding whether to buy it or not. I have to admit there was a bit of bias in my thinking....($100 dollar pedal CAN'T be that great......hahaha:)) I've built two of these now, one for myself and one for my brother who uses it regularly on his board playing live. I still have a PCB version from PCBGuitarMania (purchased before I knew about their "issues") that I may build put at some point. Amazing graphics as always!

Edit: Question about the star grounding, are you trying to avoid ground loops?

I've been hesitant about building the plumes too since I already have a million overdrives that do the job great. Building a new pedal is just so addicting and I love every earthquaker pedal I've built so far so it's going in the cart!

Awesome build and yes this seems to be a real sleeper pedal. Not being a "TS" fan myself, I too was really surprised how much I like this pedal. It's like what a TS "should" be. I had the Plumes in my Amazon cart for like years, deciding whether to buy it or not. I have to admit there was a bit of bias in my thinking....($100 dollar pedal CAN'T be that great......hahaha:)) I've built two of these now, one for myself and one for my brother who uses it regularly on his board playing live. I still have a PCB version from PCBGuitarMania (purchased before I knew about their "issues") that I may build put at some point. Amazing graphics as always!

Edit: Question about the star grounding, are you trying to avoid ground loops?
Honestly... I started out on AionFX pedals and his builds were always set up for star grounds - so it sort of became a habit. I also had a grounding issue on a Tone Geek BFK, even with the beefed up grounding on it - went to a star ground and it's worked perfectly with hard use ever since (my guitar teacher gigs with it).

Finished my Greengage last week but alas it had to be shot for trouble. Got around to it yesterday in time to go play with my drummer today. RIPS! I don't think I turned it off for the majority of the time. Stacks super well with a protein (blue) in front or using it to push my marshall in a box. The LED clipping is perfect for my needs. I'm a fan of the tube screamer but I am not sure if I will be able to go back to my TS9 after this one. Sadly it was built for a friend so away it goes. I got some time with it and now I get the hype. That said... I hear there's a frost drive (plus mods) that will shatter any other relationship you have with a screamer. That one is the next screamer on the list for me.

As always..
Love the enclosure. You nailed it.

Finished my Greengage last week but alas it had to be shot for trouble. Got around to it yesterday in time to go play with my drummer today. RIPS! I don't think I turned it off for the majority of the time. Stacks super well with a protein (blue) in front or using it to push my marshall in a box. The LED clipping is perfect for my needs. I'm a fan of the tube screamer but I am not sure if I will be able to go back to my TS9 after this one. Sadly it was built for a friend so away it goes. I got some time with it and now I get the hype. That said... I hear there's a frost drive (plus mods) that will shatter any other relationship you have with a screamer. That one is the next screamer on the list for me.

As always..
Love the enclosure. You nailed it.
I just did some checking on the Frost Drive, that does look interesting! Which mods are you thinking of?

I just did some checking on the Frost Drive, that does look interesting! Which mods are you thinking of?
Tried and true. I am thinking of doing the low gain (I think it's vanilla in the build docs) since I never really max the gain on any screamer.

For sure putting the sym/assym externally and swapping in some LEDs as described in that feed. I am unsure as to whether I would want to do the Harmonic Compression Control, but it could tame the frequencies a bit. That said I generally use my screamers to boost other things so it may be counter productive.

Looks very cool and the build has a lot of nice attention to detail.

I've thought about building a clone because I had a real Plumes that I got out of a trade deal on reddit. Soon after I got it I noticed this high pitched whine that was impossible to catch on a video on my phone. I tried to isolate the pedal, powered it straight from a good EHX wall wart, plugged my guitar into it then right into the amp. Still heard it no matter what I did. Ended up sending it to EQD who said they couldn't reproduce my issue, but replaced the entire pcb, and so fixed it for free, I just paid for shipping. Got it back, whine was gone, and noticed it was so damned bright I didn't even like it, so I ended up trading it off. Always thought it would be cool to build a clone, but socket a couple sections to tweak some of the high end frequencies.

Back