Griffin Ricochet -SurfyBear clone

Dan0h

Ok so does it Drip? Super wet.

Is it accurate? Pretty close. This pcb allows you to build it as the original circuit or with the enhanced mixer section which adds an op amp to the dry and wet giving more control. I built the original and it sounds great but there is a volume drop which I think the enhanced mixer would resolve and make this pretty much the same as the current SurfyBear.

A fun build but a couple oddball parts easily found at mouser. I ordered two boards in case I messed up the first one. But since it works I’m offering it up as a free-bee. Just shoot me a msg if you are serious about building one of these rigs out. You will need a tank as well.

It’s been a reverb week for me.
IMG_0067.jpeg IMG_0068.jpeg IMG_0069.jpeg IMG_0070.jpeg IMG_0071.jpeg IMG_0073.jpeg

Nice! I just got one of these boards as well! How hot do the power transistors get? Griffin informed me that they have a built in heat sink under them - so interested to see how that works.

I’m also planning on a gold enclosure - seems very fitting!

Nice! I just got one of these boards as well! How hot do the power transistors get? Griffin informed me that they have a built in heat sink under them - so interested to see how that works.

I haven’t felt them yet but I did notice that the dwell drops off quicker than expected. Will need to fine tune that gain trim to get it just right. Might also be the tank as well.

Ugh I built 2 of these and neither ever ended up working... I went with the improved mixer both times. Never got the input signal to hit the tank, though I could get output from the tank if I hit it. Same issue on both, ultimately I just gave up lol

Ugh I built 2 of these and neither ever ended up working... I went with the improved mixer both times. Never got the input signal to hit the tank, though I could get output from the tank if I hit it. Same issue on both, ultimately I just gave up lol
That’s crazy. Did you trace the signal out to see where it was stopping? I know the instructions are all over the place and that there are several components you have to leave out when making either one. And that part of the instruction is not very intuitive but did you leave out the correct items?

That’s crazy. Did you trace the signal out to see where it was stopping? I know the instructions are all over the place and that there are several components you have to leave out when making either one. And that part of the instruction is not very intuitive but did you leave out the correct items?
I meant to trace it out fully but never got around to it. You're right, the instructions left a little bit to be desired in clarity. I should have tried the original mixer setup on the second board. Maybe I'll get another board and try to conquer thins board once and for all. Does it sound as good as I imagine it would?

I meant to trace it out fully but never got around to it. You're right, the instructions left a little bit to be desired in clarity. I should have tried the original mixer setup on the second board. Maybe I'll get another board and try to conquer thins board once and for all. Does it sound as good as I imagine it would?
Other than the volume drop it’s pretty darn close to the real deal. I know surfy has a custom tank which does make a difference. The thing that pedals can’t get perfect is the drip. Real springs pushed hard sound wet whereas chips sound dry if that makes any sense. If you don’t do surf sounds it’s not a big deal.

there's not a heat sink underneath them, there's just tiny holes drilled in the pcb ... the first versions of the surfy had the transistors on stand-up heat sinks, the later ones relied on you bolting the board to something that would conduct heat for you.

there's not a heat sink underneath them, there's just tiny holes drilled in the pcb ... the first versions of the surfy had the transistors on stand-up heat sinks, the later ones relied on you bolting the board to something that would conduct heat for you.
I’m wondering if the heat is causing my random drop of reverb.( although I don’t feel any excess heat on them. But It’s almost like there’s a random vibrato effect which drops out some of the actual reverb. Starting to think maybe those are overheating and then releasing. Hmmm maybe a heat sink is in order.

Reactions: fig
I don't know what you're using for power but the surfy requires a 12V 1A supply. that may be a factor as well
You nailed it. I was using my cs6 and I bet it doesn’t have the solid flow available. I’ll try again with a dedicated supply. 👍🏼👍🏼

Reactions: fig
I don't know what you're using for power but the surfy requires a 12V 1A supply. that may be a factor as well
Just tested it and yup it was the power. When supplied with enough juice it stays solid on the verb. 👍🏼

80enqo.jpg

Hey op, you wouldn't still have the 2nd board you can take a pic of the reverse face of would you? I've been doing this as a back burner project and have it buttoned up in the enclosure with the spring tank finally set to get here on the 23rd but realized they don't have the pots labelled on outward face of the pcb

Hey op, you wouldn't still have the 2nd board you can take a pic of the reverse face of would you? I've been doing this as a back burner project and have it buttoned up in the enclosure with the spring tank finally set to get here on the 23rd but realized they don't have the pots labelled on outward face of the pcb
I don’t. FYI when I built my first board I installed the pots upside down. Works fine but sorta a bummer. Good luck.

Back