Ground Lift Switches - Why only on bass?

airbud

So I was watching some video on DIY synth module circuits on Moritz Klein's channel, and he added a ground lift to the circuit at one point to reduce noise and get an arpeggiator to track pitches better (pretty sure that was its role, I'd have to watch back).

I've seen ground lift toggles on multiple different bass preamp pedals, and I was curious why this isn't a thing on more pedals (preamps or otherwise).

More specifically, the concept made me think about my Super Heterodyne Receiver and whether a ground lift of some sort could make the pitch tracking more stable. I admittedly only kind of understand how it works, so if this is nonsense let me know. The circuit in the video used a CD40106, so that's what spurred that notion.

Very fascinated by the crossover of synth module and guitar pedal circuits!

Edit: Here's the link to the video. I believe what got me thinking was the pin on the ADC0820 chip that has an additional voltage reference pin for setting a higher ground level.

Last edited:
Is the ground lift you're thinking of in bass preamp/DI boxes? You'll often find polarity switches in DIs because they have to connect to the PA.
yeah, exactly.

is it because it's such a low amplitude signal?

It's because wherever the DI is running is likely powered by a different circuit(FOH) so ground loops ensue.
ah ok, mitigating ground loops makes sense.

would that apply to any mixer? i often run my guitar pedal chain directly into my SSL big six, as well as bass through a preamp pedal.

ah ok, mitigating ground loops makes sense.

would that apply to any mixer? i often run my guitar pedal chain directly into my SSL big six, as well as bass through a preamp pedal.
I could applynto any mixer.
It's the same concept as using a plastic/isolated jack and not wiring the ground to the sleeve/only grounding input. It's more of a "just in case thing. I think the reason you see it more on bass stuff is just because bass is run direct WAY more often.

Back