Guitar Build Wood Screw Disaster... Help?

there are a lot of small screw extractors (not sure what size you have) - they require a steady hand but do work.
This one is more but supposedly made in USA so may be a bit better - cheaper ones may work too
extractor

ext.png

cheaper one

No idea if this would work, but maybe one or two drops of oil to seep and penetrate the surrounding wood before trying to twist it back out?

Going down the drill and plug path... Could you use a plug cutter to cleanly remove material around the snapped screw? That might contain the damage better and give you more purchase on the screw, plus it would give you a nice round hole for plugging

Yeah, they don't have a lot of life in them, but they do work at least once 😅. They will work on harder woods, but they dull quickly, and can break easily

Another tip - before installing the screws, hit em with a bar of soap or some sorta wax for lubrication (after finishing)
Save the end of the candle after it's burned, then just drag the screw threads across it before starting. Great for screwing in windows too as the wax melts and seals the hole against rain.

ouch... yeah the hollowed out extracter should make quick work.. worse case scenario is a brand new high speed steel drill bit and some cutting oil on a drill press and take it slowly and drill that puppy out.... then glue a dowel in... always predrill wood screws! and wax the threads before screwing in!

Candlewax works too, but soap is usually readily available and works ridiculously well. Stainless can be a bugger to work with. You have to be careful bolting stainless into aluminium too; it can gall very quickly and lock up.

If screwing into hardwood sometimes the guide hole has to be bigger than you'd think. The only non-australian hardwood I have had any experience with it maple, and it can be demanding. But it doesn't split as wilfully as jarrah, the most common hardwood where I live. Jarrah is beautiful but can be a nightmare to work.
'' You need Palmolive Gold ''

I tried filing a slot in it sadly that didn't work, it just snapped again... picture of the disaster coming soon...

Edit: Picture...

View attachment 60437
How are you going with this, MichaelW's wood screw extractor would be the only way that's coming out, that wood will just be shrinking on to that screw the longer it's in there.
I always use a bit of Soap especialy on tele necks to Body !

Back