Has anyone modded a Nobleman for bass guitar?

Giorfida

I’ve been thinking, and have a nobleman board that I am going to build out shortly. I found the nobels odr1 to be perfect for adding some hair and depth to my bass guitar. One complaint though is that the spectrum knob seems to be centered on 6string. As such I’m thinking of doubling the cap values in the tone section, since I’m not looking to add or cut any available frequencies- just be able to shape them better for bass.
Anyone done this? Good idea or bad? And more importantly, am I missing something blatantly obvious?

Just talking outta my ass here, but if I’m not mistaken, you need to increase the value on the input cap, also.

Just talking outta my ass here, but if I’m not mistaken, you need to increase the value on the input cap, also.
I’ve thought that, but there is definitely enough low end response that I was hesitant on doing that for fear of changing the drive character. But it’s worth a try. May be a good idea to build it up and put flying leads where components to consider swapping and use my protoboard to try

Since I don't understand how the SPECTRUM control works (like WTH is that 2N5088 doing?), I'd experiment with one cap at a time, return that cap to the original value, move on to the next cap:

C14 8n2— this seems like a bottleneck, bump to 10n > then 22n see what that does etc, then back to stock, and next...
C13 100n > 150n > 180n > 220n > stock 100n...
C12 27n > 33n > 47n > 56n > stock 27n...
C11 560p > 680p > 820p > 1n > 1n2 > 1n5 > stock 560p...
C10 22n > 33n > 47n > 56n > stock 22n...

After trying out individual caps and seeing what I liked, then I'd start messing with them in pairs.

C14 & C13
C11 & C10
Etc

I'd still play with C1 100n, bump to 150n > 180n > 220n to see how that affects the downstream stock-circuit.

Sometimes when it's explained how it works, it can all make sense (not always), but on my oddy-knocky I'm still horrible at deciphering what does what and how. So...

I look forward to what discoveries you make.

My odr1 has plenty of bass on tap with stock caps. So yeah maybe some alterations in the tone section would be appropriate. I have the mandbean laureate with the bass cut knob and even with my bass guitar I will cut a bit off the lows out of the signal. Sounds great on bass already but be interested in what you come up with.

Back