Hatchet (Greer Tomahawk)

geoffrey

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I love super easy, quick builds and this is one of them.

The way the Greer website describes the Tomahawk pretty accurately describes this pedal. In edition to the medium "2nd-satge Drive" it claims to be, it can be used as a light OD as well. It's certainly not transparent and does add the tweedish tone it claims to. Slight compression when running at 9v, cool breakup sounds when running it at 18. Very touch sensitive, which I dig.

The main thing that stood out to me though was how well it paired with my Mach 1 (Lightspeed). For me, it is a way better pairing than the Southern Belle (Southland), which Greer claims is "supposed:" to pair with the Lightspeed. Curious as to what others may think here.

Went with the new Tayda "pastel" green (which is more of a mint color). Also used one of PPCB's jack/dc plates, which I also really dig.

Again, super easy quick build. Recommended. Curious as to what others think about this OD.

IMG_8790.jpg
IMG_8791.jpg
IMG_8792.jpg

Last edited:
The main thing that stood out to me though was how well it paired with my Mach 1 (Lightspeed). For me, it is a way better pairing than the Southern Belle (Southland), which Greer claims is "supposed:" to pair with the Lightspeed. Curious as to what others may think here.
I built my lightspeed and southland into the same enclosure based on the suggestion that they pair well. But I find the lightspeed very useful and the southern bell not so. I've thought of either pulling the LS out into its own enclosure (and figuring out what might pair well with the SL), or with taking the SL out and adding a different 3knob drive in (and tomahawk is a candidate).

I love super easy, quick builds and this is one of them.

The way the Greer website describes the Tomahawk pretty accurately describes this pedal. In edition to the medium "2nd-satge Drive" it claims to be, it can be used as a light OD as well. It's certainly not transparent and does add the tweedish tone it claims to. Slight compression when running at 9v, cool breakup sounds when running it at 18. Very touch sensitive, which I dig.

Went with the new Tayda "pastel" green (which is more of a mint color). Also used one of PPCB's jack/dc plates, which I also really dig.

Again, super easy quick build. Recommended. Curious as to what others think about this OD.

View attachment 44950
View attachment 44951
View attachment 44952
Just got this in my last batch or boards…..I think because of you hahahah. Let’s hear a demo of it!!

I built my lightspeed and southland into the same enclosure based on the suggestion that they pair well. But I find the lightspeed very useful and the southern bell not so. I've thought of either pulling the LS out into its own enclosure (and figuring out what might pair well with the SL), or with taking the SL out and adding a different 3knob drive in (and tomahawk is a candidate).
If it were me, I'd take out the SL and throw something in there with the LS. I built a LS/Rat combo that I adore, so a Muroidea would be a sweet pairing. But I think the hatchet would be a great choice as well. I don't think you'll regret building the hatchet either way.

Just got this in my last batch or boards…..I think because of you hahahah. Let’s hear a demo of it!!
I'm not guitar shy, but my demo would just be done via my iPhone 12, which I don't feel does a good job. How are your demos so clear and bright sounding, Michael? You interfaced into your Mac?

But yea, I'll do a demo here...just bear in mind what I'm recording with :ROFLMAO:

If it were me, I'd take out the SL and throw something in there with the LS. I built a LS/Rat combo that I adore, so a Muroidea would be a sweet pairing. But I think the hatchet would be a great choice as well. I don't think you'll regret building the hatchet either way.
Good idea.

BTW I do have a hatchet already, and agree it's a great sounding drive.

Back