Help with first time troubleshooting - Brown Betty

GazM

Hi, hopefully someone can help me! Although this is my fourth pedal build, this is the first time it hasn't worked, so my first time trouble shooting pedal problems.

The issue: LED lights up, so doesn't seem to be a power issue. When the pedal is off, sound bypass's through the pedal no problem, therefore, I guess the mono jacks etc are all ok? However, when pedal is switched on, there is no sound.

I understand this might be a grounding issue? But i've checked all the solders and none of them seem to be touching. There is no sound when out of the enclosure either, so I don't think its the enclosure doing this.

Can anyone see from my photos a rookie error that might be causing this? Or, what would be the next logical step in troubleshooting given my description?

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20230213_155754.jpg
    IMG_20230213_155754.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20230213_161634.jpg
    IMG_20230213_161634.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 31
Solution
Welcome to the merry band of fools making exactly that kind of mistake every day.

Spent a hour troubleshooting a vero board build last week until I realized I had the signal in the OUT jack and the amp in the IN jack.

Which would be just silly and funny if it hadn't been at least the 3rd time I've done that in the last year...
I CANNOT F*CKING BELIEVE IT. Measured all IC pins this time correctly, pin 4's at zero this time, pin 8's at 8.83. thinking, ok so at least IC's are correct. read your last message. IVE PUT THE GOD DAMN SIGNAL IN THE OUT JACK. 3 pages of amazing support from all you guys, and its just user error. I'm so sorry to waste you guys time over this. how embarrassing. Thanks so much to all of you for helping...
I see, we're just looking at the bottom of the jacks.

You've definitely got these wired incorretly.

View attachment 41983
Thank you for this input, I really appreciate it from you guys, but I really think I've wired them correctly? The jacks I got (in fairness by mistake) are PCB mounted ones from Tayda, I got them by mistake but they still work -https://www.taydaelectronics.com/6-35mm-1-4-stereo-insulated-switched-socket-jack-pcb-mono.html . I've wired these in my 3 other pedals like this and all worked perfect, and also bypass is working fine in this broken pedal. Here is a better photo of the jacks, where you can see that the black (ground) wire goes to the side that is not connected to the jack, and the white (signal) wire goes to part that has contact with the jack tip. So, I'm pretty sure I wired this correctly, either that or I'm very lucky that the other 3 pedals worked?

Attachments

• IMG_20230213_215231.jpg
    IMG_20230213_215231.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 10
Hi, no I have not checked the voltages on the IC's yet, thanks for the recommendation, I will do that before building an audio probe!

Before you start probing did you check the voltages on your ICs?
Thanks for recommendation, I've checked the voltages on the IC's now, I didn't note them down but all IC's have the same values on each pin and every pin has voltage coming through it, so I guess that means all ok? or is there specific voltage I should be looking for on each pin?

I can't tell you why your other pedals work, but this is wired incorrectly.

Those jacks have posts on both sides for use on PCBs that are mapped out to handle conditional switching when the plug is inserted ( I can explain later, but lets just get this working for now)

When using them in the way you are, you MUST solder to the side I am indicating here. (the side with the bump, which maintains its connection to the metal parts of the jack when it is inserted. )

Do this on both jacks.

1676327474759.png

I can't tell you why your other pedals work, but this is wired incorrectly.

Those jacks have posts on both sides for use on PCBs that are mapped out to handle conditional switching when the plug is inserted ( I can explain later, but lets just get this working for now)

When using them in the way you are, you MUST solder to the side I am indicating here. (the side with the bump, which maintains its connection to the metal parts of the jack when it is inserted. )

Do this on both jacks.

View attachment 41995
ok thanks mate I will try that on both and fingers crossed it works! Thanks again for your help!

ok thanks mate I will try that on both and fingers crossed it works! Thanks again for your help!
You should post your IC voltages that way we can see if your ICs are getting their proper voltages. But first lets see if that jacks the issue! One thing at a time!

Last edited:
Hi mate, I wired as you showed to do, unfortunately did not solve the problem. Thank you anyway. Still no sound, still works in Bypass. I will post the voltages now of the IC's in response to Steviejr92's post.

You should post your ICs voltages that way we can see if your ICs are getting their proper voltages. But first lets see if that jacks the issue! One thing at a time!
Hi mate, changing the Jack wiring did not work. Now I also get no sound (buzzing has gone when engaged) and works in bypass. Voltage in is 9.3 V, The IC Voltage values are:
1676481735219.png 1676481760682.png

Back