Helping Hands - Is it worth it?

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
I know they can be as little as a few dollars US up to 50+. Wanted to know if it’s worth getting and if so what do you guys recommend? Magnifying lens, led light, etc.

I use BluTack putty when I need to hold something in place along with a head band magnifier with LED lights on it
This is the route I'd recommend, too - a small bench vise, blue tack and separate magnifier.

I know they can be as little as a few dollars US up to 50+. Wanted to know if it’s worth getting and if so what do you guys recommend? Magnifying lens, led light, etc.
The model I got doesn't seems available anymore but it was worth all cents!
1608495227146.png

Just DON'T buy those:
1608495422790.png

I use a panavise for the circuit boards, and use the cheap alligator clip thing for holding wires steady for off board components.

I ordered this one and it has been worth every single penny the light and Magnifier is epically helpful for inspecting. And the “hands” come in handy for many things.

Attachments

• A27C2A77-354E-4CEE-BEE3-7C0D14447BE6.jpeg
    A27C2A77-354E-4CEE-BEE3-7C0D14447BE6.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 25
I've used one of the cheaper ones for years and find it helpful (though I don't use the magnifying glass). I've got a magnifying visor with a light and swappable lenses that I find indispensable. I've also got one of the vices too, but find I rarely actually use it for some reason.

I'm a fan of the Quad Hands. Also, I put my spool of solder on one of the arms and that helps keep things close. Whatever you end up getting be sure to add something to the jaws of the clips that can protect the PCB. The teeth of those things can chew up the board pretty easily. Silicone tubing (like pick-up height tubing), heat shrink, filing the teeth down, etc...

Cut off the amount you need, slip the tubing over whatever you intend to cover and hit it with a heat gun (or a lighter, wave it quickly) and the tubing shrinks down and stays tight.

I've used one of the cheaper ones for years and find it helpful (though I don't use the magnifying glass). I've got a magnifying visor with a light and swappable lenses that I find indispensable. I've also got one of the vices too, but find I rarely actually use it for some reason.
Any recommendations for a good magnifying visor? I bought this one a while ago and hoped it would help my posture while working on pedals, but it's not very useful - you need to be pretty close for the lens to focus, so I was still bending my back and neck too much.

I'm a fan of the Quad Hands. Also, I put my spool of solder on one of the arms and that helps keep things close. Whatever you end up getting be sure to add something to the jaws of the clips that can protect the PCB. The teeth of those things can chew up the board pretty easily. Silicone tubing (like pick-up height tubing), heat shrink, filing the teeth down, etc...
Yes, even more than 1 layer, as the teeth will eventually chew through the heat shrink... And I put masking tape on the pcb where the jaws are goin to grip.

Last edited:
Any recommendations for a good magnifying visor? I bought this one a while ago and hoped it would help my posture while working on pedals, but it's not very useful - you need to be pretty close for the lens to focus, so I was still bending my back and neck too much.
These are the ones I use: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B074HBJF3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not sure that they'll save bending, as you still have to get in there pretty close.

I think I use most of what others have mentioned above.
The Aven rotating PCB holder (The blue one) is excellent - makes it easy to insert components then flip the board for soldering
The quad hands is great - I use that when I'm soldering wire to the board.
For magnifying, I use an adjustable lamp with with built in magnifying lens sort of like the pic below. Works great.

1608777135334.png
The

I bought this one about a month ago and I don't know what I'd do without it. I wear glasses and these work well (if that's a consideration for you). I also like the little light on it as it illuminates right where you are looking, but it is removable if you don't like it. I find it handy handy even though I have a shop lamp only a few feet above my workbench. It comes with four different lenses, and I use the second highest magnification (2x) level. It strikes the right balance for me in terms of focal length and distance from what I'm working on. The higher magnification levels do require getting closer, though.

I can't get on board with the big clamp-on magnifying glass, but I know they work well for lots of people. I like how there's nothing in my way with the visor, mainly, but they also seem to be pretty pricey and take up more real estate than I'm willing to give up. The visor hangs on a nail on the wall when not in use. I have a stand-up workbench, though, which is what I believe solved most of my sore neck/back/shoulders/head issues. If you can get a stand-up workspace that may help solve some of those issues for you. When I was working at a table sitting on a chair I would be hurting after only a couple of hours.

Anyone with any leads on tracking down one of the Acalox holder set up.
Other it look like PCB holder and magnifying set up as above.

Back