Hydra Delay 15pF cap

Mark I

For the Hydra delay, would it be a problem to swap the 15pF cap to a 10pF or 22pF? Normally I wouldn’t think twice to do so for such a small increment, but I noticed that it runs directly into the crystal oscillator, which I don’t have experience with. I’m not sure if he crystal needs the specific ceramic value running to or from it. The closest electronics store is a good 45 minutes away so if I don’t need exactly 15pF it would save me a trip.

Considering it has direct bearing on the oscillator for the FV-1, I'd wait until you can procure a proper 15pF value cap for that application.

Considering it has direct bearing on the oscillator for the FV-1, I'd wait until you can procure a proper 15pF value cap for that application.
Thanks, that’s my plan unless someone confidently confirms it would be safe to go up or down in value before I get to the store

Do you have three 10pF caps? You could arrange them as two 10pF caps in series in parallel with another 10pF cap:

|-10pF-10pf-|
|---10pF----|

Do you have three 10pF caps? You could arrange them as two 10pF caps in series in parallel with another 10pF cap:

|-10pF-10pf-|
|---10pF----|
I was considering that, and would normally do that on my many vero builds but for the few pcbs I’ve done my OCD kicks in and like to have everything straight neat and tidy, one component per through hole lol

I’m building two hydras, one for my friend who says he should have some 15pf in his shop, I think I’ll use your suggestion for my build, just so I can box it up and let er rip. Then use the proper 15pF in his. And maybe swap mine out later. Thanks!
Well, I ended up putting my ocd aside and using your suggestion for both builds. Ben playing with it for hours now, such a fun delay. Thanks

Back