Important: Dust Covers for 16mm Potentiometers!

music6000

I believe this is mandatory for Dust covers on Pots under the PCB.
It is a on going Issue that should be standard practice in Builds.
This stops the PCB from shorting out on the metal back of the Pot :
They come standard with Tayda Alpha 16mm Pots.
UPDATE: Alpha stopped supplying Tayda Pots with Dust Covers on some 16mm Potentiometers.
You need to Order the Dust Cover separately!
5 Cents each!

DustCover for 16mm Potentiometers.jpg

Last edited:
Slap, That's Illegal in most Countries, I wouldn't do it!
According to the voices in my head a good slapping didn't do me any harm when I was young

Anyway here's a wee trick picked up from electric druid

I've used fairly thick pieces of craft foam stick the pot legs through it then through the board and solder into place

But only if you can't get plastic pot covers.....Norman says!

20210412_134103.jpg

Last edited:
PSA I don’t know if this is new or just new to me but I just found out Tayda sells dust covers and they’re about half the price I get them anywhere else

I just noticed those on Tayda's site as well, and added a few to my order for spares since they were 5 cents each.

GPCB has 'em as well, Barry calls them "Pot Condoms".

According to the voices in my head a good slapping didn't do me any harm when I was young

Anyway here's a wee trick picked up from electric druid

I've used fairly thick pieces of Kraft Cheese Slices stick the pot legs through it then through the board and solder into place

But only if you can't get plastic pot covers.....Norman says!

View attachment 10950

Kraft Single slices, so many uses, not just an edible beer-coaster!

You can also spread Kraft CheezeWhiz on to the backs of pots, make sure it is dry, that's when it turns into plastic.
I discovered that when I left a CheezeWhiz-laden open-faced sandwich out in the sun while working, came back late afternoon... plastic. You'd think it'd kind of put me off having CheezeWhiz after that, but it didn't.

I keep all the plastic tabs from milk cartons, nip off the ring and afix the tab with a dab of hot glue on the back of the pot...

39aa92d027e7b8324c9319f50e02899e.jpg

I drink a LOT of milk.

Last edited:
I couldn't think of an udder way to put it better than you did, Music6000.

PS, for perf/vero builds, the little plastic doll-house tables used in pizza delivery boxes to keep the box-lid from sagging and sticking to the top of the pizza, nip off the legs of those tables and you've got yet another short-prevention device. Double-sided sticky tape to the back of vero/perf or a free-floating PCB — if you're really brave and have already verofied your circuit works, you could hot-glue it again.

9a642629b72de8cfde6b5bbc6512835f.jpg

Keep a few with the legs on 'em and you can support your enclosure while spray-painting, when the "table" becomes too gooey or built up with too much paint, snip the legs off as mentioned above.

cbddad0802e9863a4c6f1f057777ed8d--pizza-boxes-great-ideas.jpg

The teensy table has just saved your pizza, helped paint your enclosure, saved your circuit from shorts — what else can it do? What can't it do?

stozmwiwb2901.jpg

Or other way round

tdvtnngafjq11.png

I love pizza!

Reduce, re-use, recycle, build more pedals... a LOT more...

I raw dog it. Knock on wood, I can only recall getting hooped once by a pot back touching a poorly trimmed connection.

I don't know why I don't like using covers, there really is no downside...

Back