Interactive Html BOM plugin for KiCad is pretty cool

KR Sound

From the plugin's description:
This plugin generates a convenient Bill of Materials (BOM) listing with the ability to visually correlate and easily search for components and their placements on the PCB. It is particularly useful when hand-soldering a prototype, as it allows users to quickly find locations of components groups on the board. It is also possible to reverse lookup the component group by clicking on a footprint on the board drawing.

The plugin utilizes Pcbnew python API to read PCB data and render silkscreen, fab layer, footprint pads, text, and drawings. BOM table fields and grouping is fully configurable, additional columns, such as a manufacturer ID, can be added in Schematic editor and imported either through the netlist file, XML file generated by Eeschema's internal BOM tool, or from board file itself.

There is an option to include tracks/zones data as well as netlist information allowing dynamic highlight of nets on the board.

For full description of functionality see wiki.

Generated html page is fully self contained, doesn't need internet connection to work and can be packaged with documentation of your project or hosted anywhere on the web.

Here are some demos:

1695747786693.png

I use it in all my builds lately. It helps not only in consolidating the component BOM, but verifies the placement without hinting and pecking.

You can also filter the list- type in 'R' to see mainly only the resisitors

1706203149134.png

'C'

1706203205729.png

Then when you check 'Placed' you can verify that everything's been added and placed correctly.

Since I don't design my own boards and rely on the kindness of others, this is the part that I'd like to call attention to.

"Generated html page is fully self contained, doesn't need internet connection to work and can be packaged with documentation of your project or hosted anywhere on the web."

"Generated html page is fully self contained, doesn't need internet connection to work and can be packaged with documentation of your project or hosted anywhere on the web."
Therein might lie @Robert's auto-generated build documentaton ;)

Last edited:
Back