Is it just me or are the Cornish designs all a bit crap?

Finally replaced the first stage diodes with BAT41. Now I have enough output, darker sound with fuzz like distortion. I just socket the first stage diodes to try different ones. Between BAT41 and BAT46 what could be the differences? Will sound be improved with BAT46s? Any ideas?

Cheers!
Bat46 will have less volume & distort more than Bat41.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    382.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    334.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    406 KB · Views: 20
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Sorry for the late response. I just find time adjust the pictures as I cannot upload large files here. I used Aion pcb which has the same schematic. Here is the doc link:

Cheers!
I'M not going to be checking as the forum was related to the PedalPCB Ge Distortion II.
You failed to mention it was an Aion Build & the wiring is confusing enough to cause an issue!!!

I'M not going to be checking as the forum was related to the PedalPCB Ge Distortion II.
You failed to mention it was an Aion Build & the wiring is confusing enough to cause an issue!!!
Sorry to not mentioned, I didn't think that it was important to discuss Ge diode issue as it is generic topic. I will be more careful next time...

So why do they sell them to us? That had occurred to me too. If it's unlikely to work in an ordinary rig they should say so. From now on if I want a fuzz I'll stick with Skeddy designs.
There are a lot of pedals designed to make a great rig sound amazing, not make an average rig sound great. When I first started building pedals I built a Klon to try to impress a talented guitarist I knew. He plugged it into a digital modeling amp and informed me "this pedal sounds like $hit".

Finally replaced the first stage diodes with BAT41. Now I have enough output, darker sound with fuzz like distortion. I just socket the first stage diodes to try different ones. Between BAT41 and BAT46 what could be the differences? Will sound be improved with BAT46s? Any ideas?

Cheers!
The 2nd clipping stage influences the tone and volume more than the 1st stage.

Bat46 will have less volume & distort more than Bat41.
True, but won't be a huge difference at the low diode currents in the G-2.

There are a lot of pedals designed to make a great rig sound amazing, not make an average rig sound great. When I first started building pedals I built a Klon to try to impress a talented guitarist I knew. He plugged it into a digital modeling amp and informed me "this pedal sounds like $hit".
I take your point! Still, my little, almost ludicrously simply rig sounds great to me. When I play my (slightly modded) Duo Jet through my three-pedal board and self-built amps I can't really imagine getting a better sound. I've spent years learning how to build amps and pedals to the level I want, and I get what is to me a sound as good as it gets. Sure, it's not the Edge's rig but it sure works for me and any gigs I want to play. I don't have much there but there is sounds great for what I need. And in my rig Cornish pedals sound a bit crap!

I probably just like a different flavour of crap from the rock stars.

I'm going to go a step further... I'm not the least bit impressed with the construction of Cornish pedals. Yeah I said it.

The big pro pedalboards look nicely built, but the pedals just aren't in the same league in my opinion.

Zip ties, spray painted PCB, etched boards, paper labels? ... 😩

They better be durable because no one wants to dig around in that mess for repairs.

I'm going to go a step further... I'm not the least bit impressed with the construction of Cornish pedals. Yeah I said it.

The big pro pedalboards look nicely built, but the pedals just aren't in the same league in my opinion.

Zip ties, spray painted PCB, etched boards, paper labels? ... 😩

They better be durable because no one wants to dig around in that mess for repairs.
So the Seals not there or void the warranty after all!!! Ha Ha!

1661705601820.png

The warranty is good for one year... beyond that what do the seals even mean?

Would my two year old broken pedal be returned unrepaired if the warranty seal was gone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back