JFET transistors question

PAGOON

Hello I have noticed on some jfets with the TC1 tester that some look like they are bad and only come up as a resistor (the-ones with the f in the upper left corner). And some come up as a transistor (the central brand CEN) are the f ones any good I’m going with the CENTRAL BRAND ONES FOR NOW. I’ve noticed this with j201 as well

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I'd recommend testing your JFETs with a dedicated testing rig (see Run Off Groove method listed on the Fetzer Valve project) for testing JFETs. These inexpensive all-in-one component testers aren't the most accurate (or reliable) way to test a JFET.

Yes, it's very likely your tester that's the issue. Inexpensive testers can't be expected to accurately measure all types of devices.
So I wouldn't toss those "f" JFETs, as they're made by Fairchild. And thus (if they are genuine) there's a very good chance they are excellent.
But if you do decide to get rid of them, please send them my way! ;)

I have a dca55 also and both transistors types act differently is this as well … this is my other tester it was my fathers he passed away when I was 11 I have no idea if it’s even useful … I will checkout the runoff grove method thank you … I was basically wondering why two transistors with the same number but different manufactures acted differently and two different testers and I know that one I first took pictures is a crappy tester. It has its purposes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 5
Oh I forget the cheapy one I got on Amazon and i replied to the seller it didn’t do germanium transistors and I was going to return it and he gave me 1/2 the money Back … like 5 dollars and the atlas dca55 from DigiKey. The dca55 picks up the 2n5457 and says it’s a diode with the 2n5457 from guitarpcb and the tayda and Tex mex ones that are cen 2n5457 say drain and source not found..

Back