JMK Paralyzer for my SCHMORG

dawson

*I just posted this on another forum but I thought you guys might like to see it too- I mean, look at that knob!

This is my build of a handy little utility device developed & sold by JMK PCB's, the Paralyzer. I call it the Parallelizer:

I built it out of necessity for a song we're writing that has a loud fuzz going into a choppy square-wave setting of my Wave Lord tremolo. Partway through the song we need the tremolo gone, but it's such a strong effect that the instant threshold of the ON/OFF switch is super jarring. This circuit, coupled with a MASSIVE KNOB and strategically placed in my SCHMORG allows me to gradually turn the knob with my foot and soften the depth of the tremolo until it's completely replaced by the opposite loop- which has now got a super-slow phaser running through it.. I'm very pleased with the result and I'm excited to experiment blending all sorts of different things- I know I'm just barely scratching the surface of possibilities.

W8cJH1L.jpg

8yTFPsM.jpg

Big "props" to JMK for this awesome circuit!
I was worried about headroom issues since I'm running it in my chain after a loud fuzz but it deals just fine.

Now that I know that I like this circuit, I think I'm going to splurge on an $18 6PDT that would allow me to bypass the blend circuit and slam the two loops into series with the flip of a switch. I think this is a cool function by itself, but it would also act as a safe-guard for that inevitable moment when I get too excited or lose my balance and mangle that pot in the middle of a live set.. anyhow- it may not be long before a build report pops up for the Parallelizer EXTREME!

Here's what I'm currently running:

c3dF4rM.jpg

If you're wondering WTF is wrong with this guy who thinks it's okay to build upside-down pedals with no pants on, this thread may answer a question or two:
SCHMORG

Last edited:
That is very cool. Love them utilities!

Right? The effect itself is really simple but the possibilities it's presenting are blowing my mind!

That knob 😍. One of my favorite utilities. I built mine into a 125b with side mount in/out jacks and the twin loop jack sets on the face. I love parallel effects.

THANKS!
I've been waiting months to use this knob- I'm super glad it's found purpose in the world.
From the description you gave I bet yours turned out looking pretty cool!

Care to share any particularly rad parallel combinations?

Lemme guess - it's Schmorg as in Schmorg-as-board? It's all clever and cool - I like it. And I think you could probably get a bigger knob too.

I only seem to make dirt and boost pedals, so I couldn't use something like this. I kinda don't need to anyway as I only use about three pedals total for gigs - Tuner/dirt/delay. My delay is a delay and reverb (Collider) and I can't build something like that!

But what you have come up with is very cool and clever. I might have used birch ply for the box for the strength - and I like the way the plies look when you rebate them.(I just made some shelves for a cupboard from some 1/2" birchply - they're small shelves for little jars ad things and they look very cute rebated). And you can buy laminex which looks like checkerplate for the sides! There are so many options these days.

Lemme guess - it's Schmorg as in Schmorg-as-board? It's all clever and cool - I like it. And I think you could probably get a bigger knob too.

I only seem to make dirt and boost pedals, so I couldn't use something like this. I kinda don't need to anyway as I only use about three pedals total for gigs - Tuner/dirt/delay. My delay is a delay and reverb (Collider) and I can't build something like that!

But what you have come up with is very cool and clever. I might have used birch ply for the box for the strength - and I like the way the plies look when you rebate them.(I just made some shelves for a cupboard from some 1/2" birchply - they're small shelves for little jars ad things and they look very cute rebated). And you can buy laminex which looks like checkerplate for the sides! There are so many options these days.

Well, first I built this (name inspired/stolen from another forum member) :

hAlvMSh.jpg

qKNMi4w.jpg

Then I had the idea to shove everything into the same box, ao I built this as a prototype:

EXF7j8Y.jpg

6XIhhbS.jpg

So, you're right- the plywood looks really cool. This is the reason I chose solid wood though^ I didn't like driving screws in-between the sheets of ply on the side here- I'm paranoid it could lead to splitting down the road, and after building the prototype with ply-wood I could kinda' tell pine would be strong enough. I cut the joints pretty tight and glued everything properly- I don't think it's going to break outside of a disaster (besides, have you seen wood prices these days?)

Anyhow- my last name starts with "Sch" and I liked the smorgasbord, so the new thing is "SCHMORG."

up5jI81.jpg

*I totally get what you're saying about only needing 3 pedals...but we build pedals around here, and my band is working on a sci-fi album with songs about aliens so I have a couple excuses to bring more than 3.

Well that all makes sense. BTW I meant no criticism! I can see how screwing into endgrain on ply would make you nervous. And I don't judge people on how many effects they use. I consider myself lucky to use only a few pedals - some music/repertoire just requires more. I can see myself adding a fuzz one day! Anyway, I cheat by using dual pedals. My dirt pedals are usually either two different ODs or an OD + Booster. I just built a pedal which had my favourite 4-knob OD plus a Broadcast as a boost. And my delay is a dual pedal with delay + reverb.

You really have created a cool look with it all. I love the consistent use of etched alloy lids.

Thinking about screwing into endgrain - you might want to consider using small rebates for your joins. Not only would they potentially help keep things square but they may also help the endgrain from splitting when screwed.

Oh I didn't read it as criticism- and even if you did say something critical, I hope I'd be able to handle it!

Thanks for the suggestion, but the cross-pieces are each made with 3 thicknesses- thinnest on top to accommodate the stair-step design. If I routed out a simple channel for a regular "rebate joint" there'd be some substantial gaps visible from the top, on top of that, the walls that would have to be notched really don't need to be any thinner than they already are.. (Yep, I've thought of this.)

There's a thread documenting how I designed and built the box where you can see what I'm talking about- it's linked in the original post^

SCHMORG! :love:

The knob kills. (y)

Thank you! It is quite grand, isn't it??

I'm actually going to try a different one that's slightly smaller because this one's too big for me to turn all the way with a single swipe of my foot..
don't worry though, the next size down is still rather massive!

Back