JRC4558 Substitutions

Skeletor

Hey everyone. I'm sourcing parts for a Hyped Fuzz build and am having a little trouble finding a JRC4558 dual op amp IC. Is this an absolutely necessary part or could something be subbed in for it?

Thanks in advance.

Edited: originally had the pedal listed as a gerkin. It's actually the Hyped Fuzz. I'm sorry for the careless error.

Last edited:
since when does the gerkin use an op amp? I thought it used DIP package transistors
You are right. I'm mistaken. I'm also sourcing parts for a Hyped Fuzz. I just made a list of all the parts and got careless.

I'll see if I can edit this post. If not, I'll delete it.

I'm sorry for the dumb question. I'm still pretty new to building pedals and electronics in general.

So, the actual op amp is the 4558d? And the jrc is like a brand?
Right. 4558 got made by a lot of companies over the years in a lot of package configurations from metal can to SMD

Last edited:
I'm sorry for the dumb question. I'm still pretty new to building pedals and electronics in general.

So, the actual op amp is the 4558d? And the jrc is like a brand?
Yes, the prefix is the manufacturer, the number is the model, and the suffix is the package type. Any DIP package 4558 will perform the same.

So, in the future, how can I know that it is ok to substitute and what to substitute for? Is there a resource for this kind of stuff?
Did you consult other fz-2 schematics from original traces? Because the 5218 datasheet even tells you good substitutes "The devices have virtually the same characteristics as the 4557, 4558, 4559 and 741 operational amplifiers."

That kind of gives you a flavor for how some of us approach things.

Did you consult other fz-2 schematics from original traces? Because the 5218 datasheet even tells you good substitutes "The devices have virtually the same characteristics as the 4557, 4558, 4559 and 741 operational amplifiers."

That kind of gives you a flavor for how some of us approach things.
I did not. I didn't even think about doing that. I mostly just stick with pcb's from pedal pcb. I know I can trust them. I'm at a point in this hobby where I don't even know what I dont know!

That's why I appreciate you all helping me out so much!

I did not. I didn't even think about doing that. I mostly just stick with pcb's from pedal pcb. I know I can trust them. I'm at a point in this hobby where I don't even know what I dont know!

That's why I appreciate you all helping me out so much!
There have been other less detail-oriented pcb and kit vendors in the past that couldn't be trusted to get things correct on a regular basis or made parts substitutions that were more convenient to their particular parts supply chain hence you'd end up with something that either didn't work OR wouldn't sound quite right. You're welcome to profit from some hard lessons learned.

Back