Just bought this 8 inch drill press

Then you are remarkably good. What's your secret for hand drilling?

I have a weak drill but it's enough for aluminum enclosures. Things are improving ever since I got a 1mm titanium bit for pilot holes. I suspect my step bits are already going dull since they frequently lock in the holes.
Of course they are cheap ones.
So if you have alot of that aluminum gunked up on the step bits, i find that if you can remove those little bits off the teeth then itll be good to go. Also too use regular drill bits all the way until you have to use the step bit i find that the step bit works best with the least amount of material in its way. For instance i use regular drill bits for pots, leds and audio jacks. For the footswitch and power jack i go as high as 3/8ths because that as big as my drill allows. Then come in with the step bit to finish off the 1/2 inch hole. It looks nice and i find since theres barely any material for the step bit to drill you dont have gunked up step bits.

I've got the same one, it has served me well and I have no complaints. I still hate the drilling process, but I don't think that has anything to do with the drill press. I get my stuff predrilled most of the time these days, but I still use it for one offs every once in a while.

I've got the same one, it has served me well and I have no complaints. I still hate the drilling process, but I don't think that has anything to do with the drill press. I get my stuff predrilled most of the time these days, but I still use it for one offs every once in a while.
Yeah based on everyones response and experience with it, it sounds like this is a little hard worker! As long as it gets the job done and is reliable thats all i can ask for.

So if you have alot of that aluminum gunked up on the step bits, i find that if you can remove those little bits off the teeth then itll be good to go.

Yep, every few enclosures I chisel the gunk out of there with a small flathead screwdriver.

I'm on my 2nd stepped bit ever. The first one lasted years and hundreds of enclosures.

Yep, every few enclosures I chisel the gunk out of there with a small flathead screwdriver.

I'm on my 2nd stepped bit ever. The first one lasted years and hundreds of enclosures.
I do the same exact thing just didnt want to mention it cause i thought everyone would look at me like a caveman :ROFLMAO:

Only reason I upgraded from this (I actually still have it) is because my friend gave me his old craftsman one which is bigger and a bit better built. Otherwise totally adequate for what you need to do

Only reason I upgraded from this (I actually still have it) is because my friend gave me his old craftsman one which is bigger and a bit better built. Otherwise totally adequate for what you need to do
I have it set up and yeah given the amount of space you have to drill things, its totally going to be able to do pretty much all pedal sized projects.

I still do a surprising amount of stuff with a handheld drill and a step bit though lol especially if I’m using a faceplate

I still do a surprising amount of stuff with a handheld drill and a step bit though lol especially if I’m using a faceplate
Yeah my hand drills aren't going out of commission theres some emotional attachment there still :ROFLMAO:

I kid you not. I’ve never putzed with the tensioning and it’s fired every time! It’s like a magic center-punch. I protect it from the evil forces who wish to possess it for their dark and vile purpose….no wait, that’s something my wife was watching on TV with elves and ogres. LOTR I think…anyway, this kid has a magic center-punch….or maybe it was a soldering iron…lemme ask her…

Still got get a benchtop drill press myself. The one in my garage is a massive floor unit that’s a pain to switch speeds on, so it’s pretty much always set up for woodworking. Enjoy your new tool day!
I'm in the same boat. Got a massive 17" for a ridiculous deal on Craigslist. Old school, cast iron all around and all that good stuff. Weighs as much as a small car. I love it, but it's WAY more than I need 99% of the time. Still prefer it to hand drilling, though.

We use one of these little harbor freight ones at work for electrical/AV rigging and it's worked out just great for us. I've been meaning to pick one up for drilling my enclosures too honestly.

Then you are remarkably good. What's your secret for hand drilling?

I have a weak drill but it's enough for aluminum enclosures. Things are improving ever since I got a 1mm titanium bit for pilot holes. I suspect my step bits are already going dull since they frequently lock in the holes.
Of course they are cheap ones.
Well the "secret" like everything else in life, is about the prep, hahaha. Fix my mistakes and make any error corrections at the center punching phase. And having sharp pilot bits (I swap them out every 10 - 12 enclosures or so. I've found at least with me, most of my errors in drilling locations comes at the pilot bit phase. I use these tiny 2mm bits that can be prone to wander if I put too much pressure on them. So resisting the urge to "push" on the drill and apply just enough pressure for the bit to get a "bite" and stay in the center punch divot. (Usually just the weight of the drill) I'm still getting better results doing it this way than using the drill press.

Well the "secret" like everything else in life, is about the prep, hahaha. Fix my mistakes and make any error corrections at the center punching phase. And having sharp pilot bits (I swap them out every 10 - 12 enclosures or so. I've found at least with me, most of my errors in drilling locations comes at the pilot bit phase. I use these tiny 2mm bits that can be prone to wander if I put too much pressure on them. So resisting the urge to "push" on the drill and apply just enough pressure for the bit to get a "bite" and stay in the center punch divot. (Usually just the weight of the drill) I'm still getting better results doing it this way than using the drill press.
Get a “drill point countersink” (the one I use is a 1/16” bit on a 1/4 inch shaft, have several and they’ve lasted decades). This will not warp with pressure, goes exactly where you want. In the cast aluminum that pedal enclosures are, which is very soft and cuts so easily, one will be a family heirloom. BA99AFED-E11B-4617-8BF2-15DB8DCAAEDC.jpeg

I still do everything with a hand drill, without any quality complaints, but I do miss the satisfaction of using a drill press.

How do you handle the metal shavings? With a hand drill, I just do it in a box and it catches 99% of them.
Here on the eastern side of The Pond, we call these metal shavings 'swarf'. Is this a peculiarly British name for them?

I aspire to drill press ownership. Many years ago I was a member of a model railway club and we had a variety of great tools including a lovely floor-standing drill press. I used to save all my home drilling jobs up and take them in on club nights to do them there! :LOL:

Back