Just bought this 8 inch drill press

Now just where to put the damn thing :ROFLMAO:

I have a similar size Craftsman. I had it on the corner of my workbench, held down by a big c-clamp for 10 years. Then I figured out that is fit onto a bench grinder stand. I bought 2 of these, one for my grinder and one for the drill.

It's a good option IF the base dimensions of you drill will fit on it. I like having free standing equipment instead of setting them on benches. They collect less crap that way.

I still do everything with a hand drill, without any quality complaints, but I do miss the satisfaction of using a drill press.

How do you handle the metal shavings? With a hand drill, I just do it in a box and it catches 99% of them.

I used to use a cardboard box that I cut up that would slide under. But ever since I got a lathe metal chips on the floor is just a way of life now so I 86'd the box and just sweep up the front of my garage once a week or so.

I have a similar size Craftsman. I had it on the corner of my workbench, held down by a big c-clamp for 10 years. Then I figured out that is fit onto a bench grinder stand. I bought 2 of these, one for my grinder and one for the drill.

It's a good option IF the base dimensions of you drill will fit on it. I like having free standing equipment instead of setting them on benches. They collect less crap that way.

Im going to have to take a look at the dimensions. If it fits this might be the way i go!

I use the shop vac too sometimes when im not lazy to pull it out :ROFLMAO:

I gotta get one a shop vac. I always put off buying one because they are always more than I want to spend on one but I always regret not having it eventually.
I have a craftsman one with a remote control on the nozzle. When I bought it, I thought no way id use that, but I literally wouldn't get another vac without it

I have a craftsman one with a remote control on the nozzle. When I bought it, I thought no way id use that, but I literally wouldn't get another vac without it
I'm still wondering how that comes in handy at all. Maybe if you had it in an extraction system? How do you use the remote on your shop vac (is a question I never thought I'd ask 🤣)?

I'm still wondering how that comes in handy at all. Maybe if you had it in an extraction system? How do you use the remote on your shop vac (is a question I never thought I'd ask 🤣).
You click it and an overengineered horn "bleeps" and tells you its done its job.

EDIT: Please dont pay attention to my silliness :ROFLMAO:

The alternative reason for getting mine is to use it to press frets with the adapter gizmo from Stew Mac. Now I just need a guitar that needs a refret hahaha. The last refret I did was over 30 years ago. I did it old school with a cheap Jackson type shredder guitar I had then. When I sanded the fretboard I found out that the fingerboard was dyed and the sharks teeth inlays were actually squares :rolleyes:. It was good practice but I’m not really sure what happened to that guitar.

That’s the pedestal I have

The alternative reason for getting mine is to use it to press frets with the adapter gizmo from Stew Mac. Now I just need a guitar that needs a refret hahaha. The last refret I did was over 30 years ago. I did it old school with a cheap Jackson type shredder guitar I had then. When I sanded the fretboard I found out that the fingerboard was dyed and the sharks teeth inlays were actually squares :rolleyes:. It was good practice but I’m not really sure what happened to that guitar.
"Theyll never know"

Anyways, thats another way i didnt think of using it!

That’s the pedestal I have
Well now i know to stay away from that one!

I'm still wondering how that comes in handy at all. Maybe if you had it in an extraction system? How do you use the remote on your shop vac (is a question I never thought I'd ask 🤣)?
The hose is like 12 ft long so it allows me to leave the power head out of kickable range with the hose just hanging on a bracket on the edge of my workbench. Then when I just pick up the hose I can click it on without having to take three extra steps back to the power head to turn it on or off

Still got get a benchtop drill press myself. The one in my garage is a massive floor unit that’s a pain to switch speeds on, so it’s pretty much always set up for woodworking. Enjoy your new tool day!

Still got get a benchtop drill press myself. The one in my garage is a massive floor unit that’s a pain to switch speeds on, so it’s pretty much always set up for woodworking. Enjoy your new tool day!
Is the one you have belt driven? Is that why its a pain to switch the speeds?

Thats the idea I bought it to drill enclosures and that’s it. If you’ve seen my previous build reports you can always notice a hole being off by the smallest hair. It drives me crazy! So just wanted something that was going to give me accurate holes and not be slanted!
even with a drill press, stuff goes off center, just rounder :ROFLMAO: I'm actually on my 2nd press, same size, other 1 just somehow lived for 25 years being a junk store jobber.
I just leave them at slowest or 2nd slowest speeds, the bits are sharp it'll cut and not burn the wood, which happens at the higher speeds.

even with a drill press, stuff goes off center, just rounder :ROFLMAO: I'm actually on my 2nd press, same size, other 1 just somehow lived for 25 years being a junk store jobber.

I just leave them at slowest or 2nd slowest speeds, the bits are sharp it'll cut and not burn the wood, which happens at the higher speeds.
Good to know going to be using the drill at the lowest setting, probably going to be leaving it there.

I have the exact same one. From Harbor Freight right? I also bought a big heavy buffer stand and have my drill press clamped to it. That said, I never use it hahaha. I just hand drill my enclosures.
Then you are remarkably good. What's your secret for hand drilling?

I have a weak drill but it's enough for aluminum enclosures. Things are improving ever since I got a 1mm titanium bit for pilot holes. I suspect my step bits are already going dull since they frequently lock in the holes.
Of course they are cheap ones.

Back