KiCad weirdness

Robert

Reverse Engineer
I know some of you folks are using KiCad regularly... is there a way to stop these two design-breaking behaviors?

Example 1:
Schematic wires disconnect when rotating a component
Exactly how it sounds... Schematic "wires" don't stay connected while rotating stationary components. Oddly if I rotate while dragging the wires will stay connected.

View attachment Rotate.mp4

Example 2:
Schematic wires become mangled when dragging/dropping components
Schematic wires have a "sticky" behavior, if I drag a component and allow the wires to intersect they become connected if I drop the component
I honestly can't think of a single scenario where I want schematic wires to connect themselves automatically.

View attachment Mangle.mp4

The only time they'll connect is if they're on the same path or if you cross a connection point of a symbol.

But, ya, Ctrl Z is your friend. :)

1700409657079.png

1700409668224.png

I have a habit of deleting the wires connected to the component to avoid this lol

"ctrl + x" Helps get the workflow moving along....

also "ctrl + d" to duplicate the component selected helps alot!

I think KiCad becomes much more fluid once you learn the commands that control the program. If you right click on any component, you can see all the commands you need to help you!

It's still not quite where I wish it was, but it has definitely improved since the last time I used it.

I like the way projects are organized into folders (similar to Eagle)... That's one thing I really wish DipTrace had.

Back