King Midas (El Rey Dorado)

Just verified this one. Tried to get a little too clever soldering the micro pin on the power jack and it doesn’t quite fit like it did in my last build.
Also I wasn’t paying enough attention and accidentally grabbed an on/off/on switch. Was curious what it would do so I left it in and may have had a Bob Ross happy accident. It seems to combine both clipping modes and gets a very loud almost fuzz tone.
I’ll be trying some labeling ideas on this one so will clean up the power situation after that.
First impression is that this one sounds pretty rad. Definitely adds some Marshall feel to my little Silverface.

Also I wasn’t paying enough attention and accidentally grabbed an on/off/on switch. Was curious what it would do so I left it in and may have had a Bob Ross happy accident. It seems to combine both clipping modes and gets a very loud almost fuzz tone.

On/Off/On would give you no clipping (or opamp clipping in this case) in the middle position.

I've been using them lately in a lot of the prototype builds because sometimes it just sounds better.

Really? In my ignorance I was half expecting it to just be a kill switch but it’s noticeably louder than the other two positions. With my build the Lo power position is much lower output than the Hi.
I wonder why it sound like it has more distortion?

Alright...scratch that. I went back and listened. It doesn’t have more distortion just more volume and a harsher tone.
When I get some time I’ll give it a better listen.

The sound your hearing in the middle position is op amp distortion (often described as harsher than diode clipping). Lots of circuits will call this position ‘diode lift’ or ‘open’ or ‘uncompressed’ or something like that because the is higher head room before clipping starts compared to having diode clippers.

Back