Kliche Mini noise/hum?

krupdb8

Hi all,
I am still pretty new to pedal building and just completed two Kliche Minis -- one as stock from the build doc, and one modified for bass per Chuck Bone's article. They both worked first time!! That's a first for me, haha. I've gotten much more disciplined in my workflow and much better at my soldering technique.

I tested using a center-negative battery adapter, so no AC power supply involved. On both, when volume and gain are down they are nice and quiet, and the effect very subtle. Tone works fine too. Max gain goes to a wonderful and ridiculous overdrive and sounds great! Max volume seems much louder than unity, which I guess is ... normal?

Anyway, when gain and volume is up, say 1/2 or more -- there is a hum that starts and gets increasing loud when there is no signal. Not at all noticeable when playing, but definitely there when not playing. Is this completely normal and just the nature of high gain/volume from the pedal? Or should I troubleshoot? Maybe experiment with different ICs -- I used the recommended TL072.

Just curious what you all think.

Thanks!
Ken

Hi, Robert. I just spent a few minutes testing the pedals out again.

Yes, the noise goes away when the guitar volume is all the way down. BTW, I am using a Squier Tele, so single coil pickups :D

Both pedals are behaving exactly the same, so my guess is it's completely normal and/or single coil 60-cycle hum with the pedal on battery power? I just wasn't sure if I should expect the pedal to be silent at all times when not playing.
- Unity volume (by ear) is when the Vol pot is about 1/3 (and Gain at zero). Vol to max has a slight hum.
- With Vol at unity and Gain at zero, hum is almost inaudible; Gain past about 1/3 the hum becomes noticeable, but slight. Gain at max and the hum is noticeable but not a deal-breaker. It doesn't affect the sound when playing that my ears can tell, and the OD sounds fantastic!

Ken

Reactions: fig
Back