Tyrian + Sanguine Dual Distortion

synthesiserror

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Couldn't decide between building the Tyrian and Sanguine distortion. Reviews of the original pedals online weren't helpful; everyone strongly preferred one or the other. In the spirit of neutrality, I decided to build both and put them in a 1590XX enclosure. I also wired in an order switch. Independently, both pedals sound great. I think I prefer the more focused sound of the Tyrian. Stacking them is where things get wild. I need to do some more playing around with it, but I so far my favorite tone is the Sanguine first at medium gain and the aggression switch down, and the Tyrian second at low gain with the aggression switch off. This thing sounds like someone took a King of Tone and threw it into a jet engine.

I did run into a problem where my placement of the LED bezels caused a short on the Tyrian side. LED lead buckled and made contact with R11; I fixed it with some electrical tape on the back of the board. I tried to space the footswitches and LEDs a little farther apart than they would be by just placing the templates side-by-side. Everything else was fairly straightforward.

IMG_0281.jpg IMG_0285.jpg IMG_0283.jpg

Nice build. My very first DIY distortion pedal was the sanguine and was a toss up between those two that you made. Trust me, I did a TON of research thinking I would only make a handful of pedals 😂. Tyrian didn’t happen for a few years later. Both are similar in nature, but very good at what they do separately. As a bedroom player, the sanguine is a badass distortion pedal with some balls. The Tyrian sounds more like a badass amp to me.

Back