Lone King Overdrive

I got everything finished last night. Unfortunately I'm not getting any sound. LED comes on, works while in bypass mode but as soon as pedal is engaged I get nothing. Super bummed about this since I spent the weekend soldering and waited over a month for all my parts to come in. I'll post some pics tonight but does anyone have anything to suggest that I could try?
It's hard to tell without seeing the pics...

I can't find any fault. Try another Opamp first and than check all solder connections on the PCB back side. If none of the components are damaged, I'll bet there is an unwanted ground connection on the PCB.

Does the led socket have contact with the pcb back side (solder joints)?

Last edited:
You need to reflow the solder on your joints.
You should see solder on the top side around pad & components ie Resistors, Caps, Diodes ect....
Here is a Close up of some of your resistors, no Solder penetration!
Have a look at Pedal222's Build on page 1

Lack of Solder.jpg

I can't find any fault. Try another Opamp first and than check all solder connections on the PCB back side. If none of the components are damaged, I'll bet there is an unwanted ground connection on the PCB.

Does the led socket have contact with the pcb back side (solder joints)?
I did try another Op-amp this morning. I fixed up some of the solder joints last night but I'm still getting nothing. The LED does light up so I'm assuming everything is ok there. I'm not getting any voltage around the volume pot so I'm assuming I need to reflow the solder joints as mentioned.

You need to reflow the solder on your joints.
You should see solder on the top side around pad & components ie Resistors, Caps, Diodes ect....
Here is a Close up of some of your resistors, no Solder penetration!
Have a look at Pedal222's Build on page 1

View attachment 9134
Thanks! I did fix some of them up last night. I'll give it another go tonight and see if this helps.

So the more I think about this. I'm leaning towards ordering another board and start from scratch. I feel that maybe I may of damaged the board due to not having the proper tip on my soldering iron. I'm wondering if I may of messed up the traces? The more I look at yours Pedal2222 the more I want to redo it lol. What are you thoughts on the damage of the board? I would obviously purchase a new soldering iron and all new parts as well.

Attachments

• InkedED84C468-F7C7-423C-AC35-CC1ADD58BBFE_LI.jpg
    InkedED84C468-F7C7-423C-AC35-CC1ADD58BBFE_LI.jpg
    881.8 KB · Views: 19
So the more I think about this. I'm leaning towards ordering another board and start from scratch. I feel that maybe I may of damaged the board due to not having the proper tip on my soldering iron. I'm wondering if I may of messed up the traces? The more I look at yours Pedal2222 the more I want to redo it lol. What are you thoughts on the damage of the board? I would obviously purchase a new soldering iron and all new parts as well.
Can you do a Continuity check on the matching Colours , G is Ground points.
If you have no Continuity, You can put a jumper between those 2 pads!
Lone King Continuity Test.jpg

Test for Continuity using matching colours, C6 Pads may be opposite.
If no continuity as drawn, swap C6 Red & Blue & Test! :
I have continuity on all pads. The only difference is I had continuity on the C6 cap like this.

Attachments

• LoneKing.jpg
    LoneKing.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 10
I don't think you have damaged traces, rather cold solder joints or unwanted ground connections. It is possible to repair damaged tracks with jumpers as music6000 says. But there is no need to re-solder the joints with this type of circuit board. The holes are contacted to both sides anyway. The look is a different matter..

I don't think you have damaged traces, rather cold solder joints or unwanted ground connections. It is possible to repair damaged tracks with jumpers as music6000 says. But there is no need to re-solder the joints with this type of circuit board. The holes are contacted to both sides anyway. The look is a different matter..
Yeah I'm just being picky at this point. Once it's in the enclosure I won't see the mess lol.

Continuity Test so far is Good, Can you give us the Voltage on all 8 pins of the Op Amp
I sure can once I get home. I did measure them before and I seem to remember that all pins were getting around 9V. Mind you there was a little variance on each like 9.33V, 9.45. something of that nature.

What should they be reading?

I sure can once I get home. I did measure them before and I seem to remember that all pins were getting around 9V. Mind you there was a little variance on each like 9.33V, 9.45. something of that nature.
What should they be reading?
Not what your listing, Set DMM to Volts - DC, Black probe to Ground, Red probe to each pin & write down voltage.
If 4 is not 0 you definately have a problem!

Not what your listing, Set DMM to Volts - DC, Black probe to Ground, Red probe to each pin & write down voltage.
If 4 is not 0 you definately have a problem!
So something IS messed up definitely! These are the readings I got.

pin 1 - 8.77
pin 2 - 8.6
pin 3 - 8.52
pin 4 - 9
pin 5 - 8.5
pin 6 - 8.97
pin 7 - 8.99
pin 8 - 9.6

Back