Lone King Overdrive

Man oh man you helped me fix it music6000! It's now ALIVE!!!! So it was the socket for pin 4 that wasn't quite making a good connection. As soon as you said it needed to be 0 volts I started investigating. I fixed up the solder joint and bam it now works. The only thing I noticed is that it has a slight buzz when engaged. It's not in it's enclosure anymore so maybe I have a few cables to touch up after handling the thing with no enclosure.

Man oh man you helped me fix it music6000! It's now ALIVE!!!! So it was the socket for pin 4 that wasn't quite making a good connection. As soon as you said it needed to be 0 volts I started investigating. I fixed up the solder joint and bam it now works. The only thing I noticed is that it has a slight buzz when engaged. It's not in it's enclosure anymore so maybe I have a few cables to touch up after handling the thing with no enclosure.
Cool, Measure Voltage at pins 1 to 8 again, You should be getting voltages around 4.5v from 2 & 3.

Dear dudes and dudettes how the hell am I gonna find w25k c150k pots? Anywhere to buy?
It will be difficult to find a w25k pot at all, especially for pcb mounting. Alpha (16 mm) offers a w20k (pcb mount vertical), but no c150k (standard solder lugs only). I had a bunch of w20k's, one mesured 22,8k, that was close enough to use. The c150k pot can be modified with wire for pcb mounting.

Last edited:
did you got the chance to reverse engineer the pcb? and draw a schematics?
do you have a picture of the traces on the pcb?

This thing is basically a TS. W20K will work fine for the TONE pot. For the BODY pot, C100K should be fine, otherwise use a C250K with a 390K resistor from pin 1 to pin 3.

This is the cleanest build I have ever seen. I know its an old thread but amazing work @Pedal2222
I am just waiting for this PCB to come back in stock.

Hey guys, sorry to hijack this thread, but as it already turned into a debugging thread I thought it might be helpful to post here in case somebody else has struggles with this build.

In my case my problem is that I don't get as much volume and drive from my build. Volume goes barely over unity and I've already tried different ICs (RC4558P) and with one I get more drive. My other problem is that the tone knob cuts volume almost completely when rolled counter clockwise. I've already reflowed the pots and and the caps but nothing really changed. I will do the continuity and voltage checks @music6000 suggested. Something else I should check? I will upload some photos later on if that helps.

For reference, I bought the kit from the musikding, so here are the parts I used >> BOM

Hey guys, sorry to hijack this thread, but as it already turned into a debugging thread I thought it might be helpful to post here in case somebody else has struggles with this build.

In my case my problem is that I don't get as much volume and drive from my build. Volume goes barely over unity and I've already tried different ICs (RC4558P) and with one I get more drive. My other problem is that the tone knob cuts volume almost completely when rolled counter clockwise. I've already reflowed the pots and and the caps but nothing really changed. I will do the continuity and voltage checks @music6000 suggested. Something else I should check? I will upload some photos later on if that helps.

For reference, I bought the kit from the musikding, so here are the parts I used >> BOM
Hey mate, get a post in the troubleshooting section with some pics and there will be people falling over to help :)

Looking good!

Which diodes did you use?
Found some ba282's luckily!
Not cheap though 😅
I understood from some posts here that they're quite essential in this circuit to sound like the originals.
I don't have a original soloist, but I do have a 2019 duellist, and the string singer side is practically dead on in sound with my lone king build.
Especially when set in "glass" mode.

20221002_012554.jpg

Back