DEMO Low Tide Modulator (Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water)

This post contains an audio or video demo
@andare @mkstewartesq Feedback is a gift! I'll give it some thought. I've always preferred to do the demo's the way I would use the pedal in a mix. My thinking is that I'll never use a dry pedal into an amp, and I don't know how many of you do either. But it's an interesting discussion, I'll see about including some dry sounds in my demo's henceforth. Thanks!!
And that's the dilemma of doing a demo, isn't it, Michael? That's one reason I find your demos so enjoyable- you like to showcase the pedal "at its best", in a mix with some ambience (i.e., they way I would have heard the pedal on an album that I loved). Others may want "just the facts" of a more dry example, so they can ascertain how the pedal in isolation compares with another version they tried in a store, borrowed from a friend, etc under more spartan conditions aimed at just trying out that one pedal. Difficult to anticipate all needs or please everyone, but having a mix of those two approaches in a demo would be super useful - "here's the pedal as it will sound when you box it up, and here's how it will sound when you really integrate it into your rig."

Best,
Mike

I don't know Mike, in my experience you can't make anyone happy. You could change it up and alienate your core fanbase and be labeled a sellout. You could stunt growth as a demoer and be a one trick pony. I say do you. Any time people have anything to say about what I'm doing I give the same response...bro, this ain't Burger King, you can't have it your way🤷

I don't know Mike, in my experience you can't make anyone happy. You could change it up and alienate your core fanbase and be labeled a sellout. You could stunt growth as a demoer and be a one trick pony. I say do you. Any time people have anything to say about what I'm doing I give the same response...bro, this ain't Burger King, you can't have it your way🤷
I'm not trying to make everyone happy. Just @andare and @mkstewartesq...... :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, it's not a big deal to turn off my delays and compressors and do a short bit dry. Not like it's a huge inconvenience to reach across the desk and push a couple of buttons heh.

@MichaelW I think your demos are excellent.

This discussion is about two different types of demos: 1) the pedal in a use-case scenario (i.e., your typical demos) and 2) the pedal in-itself (i.e., a very clinical approach that details the functions of the pedal without other variables).

Both are certainly useful. When demoing a dirt effect, type 1 will be more interesting and give a better idea of how it could fit into a real use case. Of course, there's no way to capture every playing style or genre, so these are necessarily limited. Type 2 demos for dirt are very sterile and removed from how the pedal is used, but it does give the listener information about how the sound is changed without the interference of other variables.

Modulation effects are tricky. The low tide has a delay line that mixes with the dry signal to render the effect. Adding delay and reverb on top of that may confound the low tide's impact on the sound. So if someone were interested in how the low tide affected the dry sound, they may not get a clear picture. However, those effects are usually in the signal chain for a pedal like this. So it does give a flavor of how it sounds with everything put together.

Would making a sterile demo be fun for you? I think that you can, as you mentioned, turn off other effects for a bit, then get back to your typical approach as a compromise. I think that would give some valuable context without taking away from your approach too much. There are other demos out there that give the type 2 representation of the circuit, and I don't think you have any sort of responsibility of providing that even if there weren't.

This past week I’ve been watching a lot of videos of the shallow water on synths, and it’s convinced me I should probably build one to liven up mellotron patches and the like.
Watching your demo made me realize I actually like it on guitar too! Great build, and really nice playing 👍
Obviously not as fun as something you can build, but I like my strymon deco to add some movement to my Mel9 too

The Mel 9 is a lot of fun, but even more compelling to me is eventually undertaking this:

Uses the Sparkfun Tsunami WAV sampler board

Little more info:
Sounds good but a little too hifi compared to a true Mellotron. Part of the charm for me of all those classic 70's prog Mel sounds from Yes, Crimson, Genesis, Moody Blues, etc was that lo fi almost distorted sounds.

Sounds good but a little too hifi compared to a true Mellotron. Part of the charm for me of all those classic 70's prog Mel sounds from Yes, Crimson, Genesis, Moody Blues, etc was that lo fi almost distorted sounds.
Definitely get what you mean. The guy who made it later posted a demo of the completed unit. The often overlooked fact with the mellotron sound is that a pristine working mellotron sounds much cleaner than any of the prog stuff— if you’re sampling from original, clean mellotron samples it’ll sound just like in the video. Between the pitch slop from motor inconsistencies (which could be achieved by the shallow water with 100% wet mix) and a bit of grit, you could get as dead on as you can in the digital realm by just selecting the right bank of mellotron samples. A bit more of the random vibrato, and a sample bank coming from worn out mellotron tapes instead of transfers from an archival grade bank, and you should get the sound quite well.

Biasing was a breeze due to @bowanderror's most excellent instructions!
Please, can i ask if these instructions are available somewhere ?

I tried to search the forum, only with few results.

Building this Low Tide circuit now, and i am a bit struggling to calibrate it correctly.

Last edited:
Back