SOLVED Low Tide - No Audible Chorus Effect When Engaged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, the title says it all...

I'm able to get clean sounds obviously when un-engaged, but there's practically no chorus effect when the effect is engaged. I have the two trimpots biased properly, following the advice of others posters on the forum. The pots all modify the sound somehow so I don't think it's a bad pot, but the chorus isn't nearly as prevalent in my build as this demo of the original pedal, for example:

I don't believe it's a physical connection issue as signal is able to pass the pedal when engage, but I've attached a photo for reference in case something's obviously wrong. I'm not too versed in reading schematics, but there's also no schematic to narrow down what part of the effect actually is responsible for the chorus effect. I've attached a laptop recording of my clean vs. engaged sounds for reference via the Google Drive link below:

0:00-0:26: Bypass/Effect Not On
0:26-0:50: Effect Engaged

Am I crazy or is something not working properly? I appreciate any input in advance.

EDIT: I would like to note that my build uses the V3208D chip in place of the V3207D. The 3207 was out-of-stock and had read that the 3208 is a suitable replacement.

Attachments

• 20210903_174635-min.jpg
    20210903_174635-min.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
Reactions: fig
You need to change the permissions on that link. Also, those chips aren’t interchangeable. The v3208 has 2048 stages vs the v3207 with 1024 stages (i.e., twice the delay time).
Good looking out, and I appreciate the quick response! I've changed the permissions and verified it works via Incognito.

It seems I have taken this post a little out of context, assuming it was a 1:1 replacement.

Is the V3207D the chip that controls the chorus? If that's the case I may be out of luck until this thing resurfaces online.

I've noticed a few users have this issue (as do I) I've been keeping an eye on the forum to see if anyone was able to fix theirs. So far I haven't seen any fixes

That said. I see you damaged quite a few of the box caps with you soldering iron, maybe not enough to matter but I'd start by replacing those.

I've been keeping an eye on the forum to see if anyone was able to fix theirs. So far I haven't seen any fixes
Lovely! I'm hoping the fix is getting an actual V3207 chip in my case.

Those slightly melted caps are indeed from my iron, and are just the corners like you mentioned. I don't think that's the cause but I won't rule it out still.

Cabintech still has v3207's in-stock. Shipping is reasonable to. Be quick though as there aren't many left

I don't see why the 3208 wouldn't work. The delay time would be around 2x that of the 3207, so it would sound more like a delay than a chorus.

On your demo, it doesn't sound like the Gate is opening or closing at all, and as that controls the chorus volume, you should troubleshoot that first. It could be because you're playing quite softly with no changes in volume. The Low Tide is very responsive to how hard you play, and you won't notice it as much if you're playing without dynamics.

I would test it with the blend 100% Wet, and see if the gate knob works. At 100% Gate, it should sound similar to the Dry signal. At 0% Gate, you likely won't get any signal. At 50% Gate, the signal should pop through or swell in with louder notes.

On the PCB pic, you have both the Pad & the Boost engaged. I don't actually know which one wins in that scenario, but I would turn them both off. Then turn the Boost on & try again. You should hear the Gate open more with the Boost on.

I don't see why the 3208 wouldn't work. The delay time would be around 2x that of the 3207, so it would sound more like a delay than a chorus.

On your demo, it doesn't sound like the Gate is opening or closing at all, and as that controls the chorus volume, you should troubleshoot that first. It could be because you're playing quite softly with no changes in volume. The Low Tide is very responsive to how hard you play, and you won't notice it as much if you're playing without dynamics.

I would test it with the blend 100% Wet, and see if the gate knob works. At 100% Gate, it should sound similar to the Dry signal. At 0% Gate, you likely won't get any signal. At 50% Gate, the signal should pop through or swell in with louder notes.

On the PCB pic, you have both the Pad & the Boost engaged. I don't actually know which one wins in that scenario, but I would turn them both off. Then turn the Boost on & try again. You should hear the Gate open more with the Boost on.
I appreciate the pointers! I'm away from home at the moment but will follow up in the next couple of days with my findings.

Hey hey, so a later weekend update to address a lot of the points on here in-depth now that I'm back home.

Preface to rest of my findings: I adjusted the internal switch pad to Off and the Boost to On lower your suggestion, and tested the pedal maxed out at all settings, 100% Wet Blend at all times specifically.

I noticed when the Gate pot is at 0%, dry signal still passes at a louder volume because of the Volume pot, the Gate at 100% certainly allows louder dynamics to spike but there's no actual worbly chorus effect as you hear all over the original pedals demo in the OP. At this point, I think the Gate pot itself may be working because of those louder spikes. Adjusting all the pots modifies the sounds somehow as well, I can even just barely hear the rate fluctuate in the dry signal too.

I committed the mortal sin of not testing the pedal before I boxed it. I'm going to unbox the thing and verify whether it works outside the box or not and can report back those findings, and I have 3 V3207s in the mail to test as well per the Cabin Tech URL above, but any further input in the meantime is appreciated!

To hear a chorusing effect, obviously you will want the Mix somewhere around 50%, I would also recommend the LPG gate fully open as well when testing for the modulation.

Also, as stated before, the 3208 is not a direct replacement for the 3207.

To hear a chorusing effect, obviously you will want the Mix somewhere around 50%, I would also recommend the LPG gate fully open as well when testing for the modulation.

I should clarify, I was testing with all pots at 100% except for the Gate, which I tested at varying levels and can hear, and I'm still not hearing the chorusing effect as originally reported.

My 3207s just delivered today and no luck, still no Chorus effect on this thing. I'm proceeding with unboxing now.

It sounds like a problem with the the modulation or delay circuitry. If you have a multimeter, you should check & post the voltages of each IC. Pay particular attention the behavior around IC2 pin5, IC5 pin1 & pin7, & IC6 pins 2-4. On those pins, check the voltage as you sweep the Rate knob from 0% to 100%. The voltage reading should "step" at slow Rate settings, and become increasingly erratic as you increase the Rate.

It may be that your Randomizer IC isn't spitting out modulation voltage, the slew-rate limiter or VCO isn't functioning, or the BBD isn't bucket brigading. Those voltages will give us an idea of what's going on.

when you are changing the gate settings with just the wet signal you should have some instances where the gate blocks your signal. it that happening?

Reactions: len
Pay particular attention the behavior around IC2 pin5, IC5 pin1 & pin7, & IC6 pins 2-4.
IC2 Pin 5:
0%:
3.89-4.05
~33%: 1.87-2.5
~66%: 1.17-2.37
100%: 0.44-2.21

IC5 Pins 1 / 7:
0%:
0.23 / 0.13
~33%: 0.89 / 0.26
~66%: 0.13 / 0.09
100%: 0.43 / 0.64

IC5 Pins 2/3/4:
0%:
1.22 / 1.34 / 1.37
~33%: 2.55 / 2.62 / 2.62
~66%: 2.88 / 2.89 / 2.9
100%: 2.6 / 2.6 / 2.59

Hopefully this helps! I did order parts for 2 builds, as I was planning on selling one and keeping the other. If you think I should swap ICs with the other populated build for testing just say the word.

when you are changing the gate settings with just the wet signal you should have some instances where the gate blocks your signal. it that happening?
None at all from what I hear at least.

How did you set the bias trim if you have no chorus effect? Without a scope, the only way to set that is by ear.
Again as I mentioned in the OP, there is a General Setup thread in which a user mentions you should be able to hear adjust it within a range of where the signal doesn't fizzle.

Uhhhhhhhh so I might be an idiot.

I think by testing with all pots maxed out, the Slew was also maxed out, basically eliminating any of the jitter and erratic pitch bending of the signal. Now that I hear the erratic bending I was able to adjust the BBD trimmer to taste!

Thank you all for your constructive input! I'm still very new to troubleshooting so this was very helpful in properly approaching the issue [despite it seemingly being mostly a user issue, and a needed v3207].

giphy.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back