M800 - No Volume

DrumBuster

Hello everyone, after neglecting my project for almost a year, I finally built my M800, when trying it out, I noticed I had no volume. Bypass works great, j201s all biased to the right voltage (4.5v ish) save for one of them not doing it. It stays stuck at 2.7, is it possible that is the culprit? I got a 2N5458 just in case is a faulty transistor. I check every solder and ground and everything seems fine, led lights up. What it can be the issue? Thanks

If you Google "audio probe pedal" videos will come up, along with how to make them. Cap size isn't too important, any size cap above 10n to 220n will work. It's primary purpose is to keep DC from being passed to the amp if you touch the wrong lead.
Hello, I used the meter. Q2 doesn’t seem to be on spec, when I have the trim pot at the minimum, it reads 0.005 on drain, when is on the right, it reads 2.5

Mark the suspicious J201 & SWAP it with a Good J201 & see if it is Good in Q2.
Will order another j201 or pf5102, might be luckier, Chuck said in another thread that it works just as right. Don’t wanna risk spending $7 in fake 201s, these ones were “generics” Small Bear sold, is there any other reputable site?

Will order another j201 or pf5102, might be luckier, Chuck said in another thread that it works just as right. Don’t wanna risk spending $7 in fake 201s, these ones were “generics” Small Bear sold, is there any other reputable site?
You need to swap it with One that has bias Good in the Pedal to make sure you don't have an issue in Q2!

You need to swap it with One that has bias Good in the Pedal to make sure you don't have an issue in Q2!

This is my Only request/ suggestion:

Mouser has them, but they are expensive. music6000's suggestion is cheaper.

These are the generic drain voltages that others are shooting for on this circuit. They may be helpful
Q1-3.78V Q2-6.85V Q3-4.02V Q5-5.6V Q6-2.7V

I built the first M800 way back, It worked but I knew something was wrong with the lack of sustain:

Back
Top Bottom