m800 spitty at low gain

Danbieranowski

Just built the m800 and it sounds pretty good... a little dark. Biased the J201s (guaranteed authentic by GuitarPCB) to 4.5v other than the tone trimmer which I did by ear. What’s odd is that at low gain settings it gets a little spitty like a fuzz. Is this expected? Any ideas? There’s not any issue with the soldering and such. It works and all that. Just sounds a little different than I thought it might.

Just built the m800 and it sounds pretty good... a little dark. Biased the J201s (guaranteed authentic by GuitarPCB) to 4.5v other than the tone trimmer which I did by ear. What’s odd is that at low gain settings it gets a little spitty like a fuzz. Is this expected? Any ideas? There’s not any issue with the soldering and such. It works and all that. Just sounds a little different than I thought it might.
The internal Tone trimmer works in reverse, I have mine around 9.00 O'clock to give a brighter tone.
This is very fussy with the J201's if they are not in spec, you may have to tweak the trimmers by ear.
My first Faitrchild set were so far out of spec & the voltages range from 2.5v to 7v to get it sound reasonable!
I revisited & used NOS Siliconix J201's & it was perfect with all the trimmers @ 4.5v

Here is my report :

I made a jfet improved matcher 2 to check jfets for IDSS

1629934851807.png

The internal Tone trimmer works in reverse, I have mine around 9.00 O'clock to give a brighter tone.
This is very fussy with the J201's if they are not in spec, you may have to tweak the trimmers by ear.
My first Faitrchild set were so far out of spec & the voltages range from 2.5v to 7v to get it sound reasonable!
I revisited & used NOS Siliconix J201's & it was perfect with all the trimmers @ 4.5v

Here is my report :

View attachment 15247
This is great, thank you! I can tell just by tweaking the trimmers that they literally silence the circuit if turned too far in either direction. So it seems like the sweet spot shouldn't be TOO hard to find. But I also found that it would oscillate if the trimmers were set to certain values, which was also surprising. Just weird all around! Thanks for the advice! I'll goof w it.

Here is my report :

View attachment 15247
Ended up working it out by ear and I’m much happier with it. The trimmer causing the weird spitty sound was the presence trimmer. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom