Madbean Fuzzy Britches

Laundryroom David

Keyboard Cowboy 🤠
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I am a rather stupid man. Some would say, “no you’re not!” while others would say, “yup” and still others might say “why did you use 3 words when 1 would have conveyed the same message?

Having just built a PPCB Teddy Rupture, I wanted to build the Fuzzy Britches without the SAG pot to compare.

I built it up, plugged it in and … no love. Not fuzzy. I had flipped Q2 (a 2N3906) inadvertently because I was thinking in terms of the BC549C I had used in Q1. So I desoldered Q2 and plopped in a different PNP I had close at hand (leftover from a Devi clone build I did).

Plugged in and still no love. No fuzz. Then it hits me. I didn’t pay close enough attention to the pads of Q1 and in my deep thoughts about flipping my BC549C when I was soldering, I had failed to notice that the pads for Q1 were oriented such that I did not need to flip the BC549C.

And all of this arises because I tried to be clever using a BC549C rather than a BC109C. Tragic. Just f’n tragic. It’s too late to try agin today 😂

That said, I will flip Q1 to get this pedal working as it should and will update if it sounds appreciably different than expected. Knowing @bean ’s pedals, this is going to sound like an awesome Bosstone despite my failures.

The build itself is super easy. Lots of room to work. The documentation is robust and the parts easy to source. Great project.

EDIT: I found a sneaky 5 minutes and fixed Q1. It sounds fantastic. 🎉

IMG_6745.jpeg IMG_6746.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm curious of your thoughts on comparison of this and the Teddy Rupture.
Different flavours of the same critter. The Teddy Rupture will rip your head off. The Fuzzy Britches (as I built it) will just take, at most, your arm.

By design the TR gets hotter and the bias control means more tonal options, which you can also build into the FB with a different gain pot and some extra components. There are pads for the extra components.

For my particular sensibilities and love of signal destruction, the TR is the keeper. But that has nothing to do with PPCB vs Bean - if I’d built out the FB to same spec as the TR, it would do the same I am certain. Want to be super clear about that.

Different flavours of the same critter. The Teddy Rupture will rip your head off. The Fuzzy Britches (as I built it) will just take, at most, your arm.

By design the TR gets hotter and the bias control means more tonal options, which you can also build into the FB with a different gain pot and some extra components. There are pads for the extra components.

For my particular sensibilities and love of signal destruction, the TR is the keeper. But that has nothing to do with PPCB vs Bean - if I’d built out the FB to same spec as the TR, it would do the same I am certain. Want to be super clear about that.
Interesting. I guess thats kind of what I expected. I like the bosstone so I will eventually end up building them both. Thanks!

Back