Madbean Kingmaker

jhaneyzz

He's baaaaaack!

with a magical collab with Gordo...

Gordo build the board and gifted it to me to do that thing I do to dress pedals.

Hopefully the enclosure screams FLANGER/RINGMOD magic. I kinda think it does. Adobe Firefly text-to-vector in Illustrator with multiple tweaks.

Happy to pass tips on to Illustrator users. (not sure the feature is in the release version yet) I wish I knew an Adobe employee I could ask...

I can't speak to the PCB build since Gordo did it, but I do kinda hate the offboard wiring scheme. the 3PDT connections don't lend themselves to artful hardwiring the way Robert's always-thoughtful layouts do, and it shows.

I have a Trashcompactor build I did for Gordo that I'll share in a couple of days that came out pretty nice.

fans of the channel will pick up on the meticulously sourced pairing of light blue marble with a painfully curated Light Cyan led I got from Mouser.

in Jimbo-land, orange is for crunch, blue is for mod.

As to sound.... I'm pretty new to the whole genre of this pedal so I've read the excellent build docs (sideways glance at brother robert) and tweaked the trimmers a bit and I'm pretty sure Ive got it making the sounds it's supposed to but it's like a new pair of shoes at the moment... the jury is still out.

But now I can knock Flanger off the list and get back to the 30 or so backlog of mostly completed boards that need enclosures.

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

Ridiculous and awesome as always. It’s been a minute!

I’m stoked to hear there might be 30 more of these in the pipeline.

I gotta admit…a flanger is a flanger but it’s funny how they have their own personalities. I really like this circuit. Still think a BF-2 is my fave because I used one for years on the road and the A/DA rules cuz I could never afford a real one.

Glad you got this boxed up, it’s a beauty.

I appreciate the feedback on the wiring. I designed it like that because of the the very particular way I've always wired 3PDT switches. But I realize it isn't necessarily the best way for everyone. I'm already adopting a new wiring scheme for future projects. Actually, minimal or no wiring is how I want to live my life!

Impressive build, great artwork !

I am a big fan of this channel. This time i don't fully understand mister Haney's choice of color for the status led.

Are we sure that blue/cyan is really perfectly suited for this effect ? Aren't yellow and purple more appropriate colors for flangers ? Isn't blue the color associated with the american democratic party ?

I can't see any washer on the 3PDT but i am sure it's a simple misunderstanding.

Are we allowed to have a look on the soldering side, just for a quick and friendly inspection ?

Are we really sure that we should "knock Flanger off the list", end the Great Flanger Quest so soon, without building any Flintlock ?
I thought flangers were like a good cooking recipe : even if you find a good one, you still need to try something else soon or later.

I wonder what @chris.knudson would say about all this.

Last edited:
I appreciate the feedback on the wiring. I designed it like that because of the the very particular way I've always wired 3PDT switches. But I realize it isn't necessarily the best way for everyone. I'm already adopting a new wiring scheme for future projects. Actually, minimal or no wiring is how I want to live my life!
Everything design decision is a compromise and there's always that one guy.. :D

Impressive build, great artwork !

I am a big fan of this channel. This time i don't fully understand mister Haney's choice of color for the status led.

Are we sure that blue/cyan is really perfectly suited for this effect ? Aren't yellow and purple more appropriate colors for flangers ? Isn't blue the color associated with the american democratic party ?

I can't see any washer on the 3PDT but i am sure it's a simple misunderstanding.

Are we allowed to have a look on the soldering side, just for a quick and friendly inspection ?

Are we really sure that we should "knock Flanger off the list", end the Great Flanger Quest so soon, without building any Flintlock ?
I thought flangers were like a good cooking recipe : even if you find a good one, you still need to try something else soon or later.

I wonder what @chris.knudson would say about all this.
I've always felt that flanging is the most democratic of effects.

I gotta admit…a flanger is a flanger but it’s funny how they have their own personalities. I really like this circuit. Still think a BF-2 is my fave because I used one for years on the road and the A/DA rules cuz I could never afford a real one.

Glad you got this boxed up, it’s a beauty.
Don’t hate me then for gutting an A/DA flanger as a kid since it stopped working, so I harvested parts from it to make something else. Man I want that back!!! A good flanger that always went under the radar was the flanger in the TC Electronics Stereo Chorus Flanger pedal. Was the closest I could ever get to Rick Erickson’s flanger he built for Heart.

Well… there really nothing wrong with it for any normal person who isn’t trying to make internal pedal working an art form…

I had more fun with Trash compactor build I just finished but haven’t photographed.

Ridiculous and awesome as always. It’s been a minute!

I’m stoked to hear there might be 30 more of these in the pipeline.
The labor intensive etching process is such a pain in the ass I keep putting off getting back to it.

Plus, It was too cold to open a window for the past month to vent the fumes.

Back