Marigold / Sola Sound Yellow Hybrid Tone Bender

apc42069

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
oooooooooh BABY!

Look, I dont know if it's because I've been on an accidental fuzz break or what, but hollllllyfuckingshit this sounds AMAZING!!!!!!

I was on a streak of modulation effects, then played around with distortions, then some more modulations & it's been a good dozen or so builds since I've had my one true love of fuzzzzzzzz on the bench, and my goodness we are back with a bullet.

I used carbon film where I could, and carbon comp after that, metal film for any values otherwise.

Q1: BC107b hFE 212, Ube 718mV (Siemens)
Q2: BC109c hFE 730, Ube 609mV (generic)
Q3: OC140 N/A. I took no measurements. I paid up for it at Small Bear so knew it would work, could bias accordingly.

Ge Diode: Phillips OA9 V fwd 3.1 - also from Small Bear, purchased once upon a time alongside some Mullard black glass diodes for use in Distortion+

Zener Diode: 5.1 V - it was the closest value I had on hand, so first one I tried. Q3 collector voltage measures in at 2.25, could I try and get it up (lol) to 2.6? Sure I could! Does it need that level of futzing at this moment? No suh! Again, this thing sounds incredible..

It's incredibly responsive, both with pick attack (you know how a good fuzz feels ALIVE?!), and with clean up. The range of guitar volume clean up is surprisingly wide. I have an analogman sunface - RCA Ge low gain (purchased before following the white building rabbit), and it the cleanup response doesn't even come close to this one - there's a different tone at every hour on my volume knob!

Also, keeping with the theme of today's build reports, I uh...I didn't look at the schematic before designing (i.e. replicating) the enclosure art. So, well, yeah the tone knob is my fuzz knob and the fuzz knob is my tone knob and finkel is eihnorn and einhorn is waitaminute.. I'll just use this as a phenomenal excuse to build another one I suppose.

But speaking of the tone knob! It feels unique in that ya might almost mistake it for a bias control. I'm sure this is wildly inaccurate, technically speaking.. and I promise to study the schematic at some point - but in concert with "tone" (I assume it's a treble bleed?) control, it kinda acts as a bias control too in that it feels more gated or full depending on the hour. Can get pretty damn sizzling either way, but with the warmth of Ge throughout.

Ok F this, I gotta go play the sucker (esp before the wife comes home : )

Yellow powder coat, UV printing from Tayda w/ varnish gloss. Extra gut shots because of the mojo levels going on.

IMG_2077.jpg IMG_2078.jpg IMG_2080.jpg IMG_2079.jpg IMG_2081.jpg

Yea, this pedal is one of the best. I absolutely love the graphics, especially the “hit me!” text. I also payed for the mojo OG Ge transistor and thought it was totally worth it. Enjoy the enlightenment!

Yea, this pedal is one of the best. I absolutely love the graphics, especially the “hit me!” text. I also payed for the mojo OG Ge transistor and thought it was totally worth it. Enjoy the enlightenment!
honestly man.. I thought I had struck having-my-cake-that-i-get-to-eat gold with the twin face, but ultimately it's still an either/or situation (and since I'm a non-gigging, non-traveling guitar player.. putting 16 pedals on the floor ain't really an issue...with strategically placed buffers ofc). THIS ONE however, really does give you the best of both worlds at the same damn time.

oooooooooh BABY!

Look, I dont know if it's because I've been on an accidental fuzz break or what, but hollllllyfuckingshit this sounds AMAZING!!!!!!

I was on a streak of modulation effects, then played around with distortions, then some more modulations & it's been a good dozen or so builds since I've had my one true love of fuzzzzzzzz on the bench, and my goodness we are back with a bullet.

I used carbon film where I could, and carbon comp after that, metal film for any values otherwise.

Q1: BC107b hFE 212, Ube 718mV (Siemens)
Q2: BC109c hFE 730, Ube 609mV (generic)
Q3: OC140 N/A. I took no measurements. I paid up for it at Small Bear so knew it would work, could bias accordingly.

Ge Diode: Phillips OA9 V fwd 3.1 - also from Small Bear, purchased once upon a time alongside some Mullard black glass diodes for use in Distortion+

Zener Diode: 5.1 V - it was the closest value I had on hand, so first one I tried. Q3 collector voltage measures in at 2.25, could I try and get it up (lol) to 2.6? Sure I could! Does it need that level of futzing at this moment? No suh! Again, this thing sounds incredible..

It's incredibly responsive, both with pick attack (you know how a good fuzz feels ALIVE?!), and with clean up. The range of guitar volume clean up is surprisingly wide. I have an analogman sunface - RCA Ge low gain (purchased before following the white building rabbit), and it the cleanup response doesn't even come close to this one - there's a different tone at every hour on my volume knob!

Also, keeping with the theme of today's build reports, I uh...I didn't look at the schematic before designing (i.e. replicating) the enclosure art. So, well, yeah the tone knob is my fuzz knob and the fuzz knob is my tone knob and finkel is eihnorn and einhorn is waitaminute.. I'll just use this as a phenomenal excuse to build another one I suppose.

But speaking of the tone knob! It feels unique in that ya might almost mistake it for a bias control. I'm sure this is wildly inaccurate, technically speaking.. and I promise to study the schematic at some point - but in concert with "tone" (I assume it's a treble bleed?) control, it kinda acts as a bias control too in that it feels more gated or full depending on the hour. Can get pretty damn sizzling either way, but with the warmth of Ge throughout.

Ok F this, I gotta go play the sucker (esp before the wife comes home : )

Yellow powder coat, UV printing from Tayda w/ varnish gloss. Extra gut shots because of the mojo levels going on.

View attachment 42221View attachment 42220View attachment 42218View attachment 42219View attachment 42217
Awesome man! I built some of these and I agree with everything, sounds incredible. For anyone thinking "should I build this fuzz?", the answer is 4

*update*

I soldered the diodes into the sockets, but before doing so - I had to just see if Q3 C at 2.6 was better…dropped in a 5.7 V zener, C measured 2.65 - I didn’t dig it!

The range of cleanup was narrowed (by a lot, similar to my AM Sun Face actually), and the tone control was also way limited.

I suspect the entire circuit could be considered more “stable” ?? But regardless, I preferred the 5V1 by leaps n bounds.

Here she is all tidied up-

02AB9260-2A90-4E92-876D-1DB63561BCE8.jpeg

Back