DEMO Mini Documentary - Aion Vector Delay

This post contains an audio or video demo

UtilityBeltFX

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)

So I built my brother-in-law a delay pedal and named it after his daughter, my niece (Mila Echo). I decided to film the whole process for friends and family on social media to give them a better look at my process for building. Most of this will be repetitive or common sense for you guys, but I still thought some of you might dig it. I'm really proud of the pedal and vid overall so let me know what you think!

I've built two of these AION Vector Delays now (my first being the T2 Judgment Delay) and they sound really really good. Easy builds and sit nicely in a mix!

Ross

So I built my brother-in-law a delay pedal and named it after his daughter, my niece (Mila Echo). I decided to film the whole process for friends and family on social media to give them a better look at my process for building. Most of this will be repetitive or common sense for you guys, but I still thought some of you might dig it. I'm really proud of the pedal and vid overall so let me know what you think!

I've built two of these AION Vector Delays now (my first being the T2 Judgment Delay) and they sound really really good. Easy builds and sit nicely in a mix!

Ross
Great build and demo. Nice, also, to personalise the build so aptly.

That took a lot of guts to share with everyone how you build pedals. It is good to see that someone else uses the shopping list to double check your stock and put things in order.
That being said. Your method is most certainly different than mine. I'm sure all of us have different techniques.
Good stuff. Lot's of fun!

Last edited:
Great job dude! You're making me want to show how I build pedals now! 🤘
Do it, do it!

I love seeing other people's processes, I always learn something. Like @UtilityBeltFX drills the enclosure and uses the holes to hold the pots while he solders them. I solder one pot leg, and then use the drilled holes, but I never even considered his way, and I think it might be better...

Killer video, and great playing!

Do it, do it!

I love seeing other people's processes, I always learn something. Like @UtilityBeltFX drills the enclosure and uses the holes to hold the pots while he solders them. I solder one pot leg, and then use the drilled holes, but I never even considered his way, and I think it might be better...

Yeah great inspiration @UtilityBeltFX dude! I’m thinking of doing one soon!

Do it, do it!

I learned that from this forum! The General Workflow sticky thread in fact :)

I'd be really interested in a thread where people explain their processes for handling parts, picking parts, etc. I have an Excel workbook as a "stock list" with all the different parts I have and their counts (if I update them properly...), an Excel workbook with the BOM for each pedal I'm going to build, and a Word doc template with a table for each part value. I use the stock list to update the pedal BOM, noting if I need to buy anything or not, color coding things, like green for "have in stock" and orange for "need to buy", then I enter the BOM into the Word template and print it. Printed Word doc goes into a Ziploc for the given pedal. Then I pick my parts (resistors in a trading card binder, caps in bags, etc.) and use 1/4" masking tape to tape each part to it's box on the Word template. Parts picking efficiently and part sorting/storage seem like they could be their own topics.

To me this seems much less tedious than the way @UtilityBeltFX does it in the video, especially if you are an addict enthusiast and build lots of pedals.

Point being, I'd love to see the way others handle these tasks, as we all have to do them, and simple/obvious stuff to us may be a revelation to others (Like how @UtilityBeltFX does his pots!). For example, I considered using stock keeping software to track all my parts, sources, inventory, etc. Some even have automatic rebuying features when you're low on a part. It's just a lot of work to enter everything, but would be really neat to have.

Sometimes with pedals I’ll specifically match certain parts—but much of my build history has been with differential (balanced) circuits, where getting every darn part as close as possible to its complementary part yields real benefits. My process is to make an enlarged photocopy of the circuit board, and stick it on a piece of rigid foam. Then, as I measure and match the parts, I stick them into one of that part’s holes on the photocopy. When it’s time to solder, I just pull and place, one by one. Again, not something I typically do for pedals…

Back