Minnow Filter/Sample & Hold

jwyles90

Build Rating
4.00 star(s)
Hey all,

I finished this guy up over the weekend, and it's definitely a funky one. I had one of those bad build days while working on it, and after boxing it up realized D100 was soldered backward, and that I had socketed half of the transistors backward as well. Once I got the diode oriented correctly and fine-tuned the trimpots it seems to be working properly, although one of the LEDs stays on all the time while the other just doesn't work at all :cautious:. I'll fix those eventually but for the time being at least I think it's functioning as it should (or at least close enough to it). The Sample & Hold side is pretty interesting, and once I got it dialed in I had a lot of fun messing around with the different rhythms and all that. As far as the filter goes, either I just don't really get how filters work or something is slightly off here. If I have the filter knob set to anything lower than 3/4 of the way up and the attack basically dimed it sounds like I'm playing with a wet blanket over my amp. When the filter does activate it's got that classic auto-wah type sound, but getting there is a bit tricky. As far as I can tell from troubleshooting and checking continuity and voltages everything appears to be working as it should, but something feels...off? If anyone else has built this one, let me know if you've had similar experiences with the filter side of things.

Anyways, aside from my own hiccups I had a lot of fun with this build. I think my decal process is going a little more smoothly as well, as this one turned out much better than my last post. I'm still working on getting the edges just right, as it's a little uneven in places but overall I'm happy with how it looks.
IMG-8482.jpg IMG-8483.JPG

Last edited:
It can be a bit finicky with regard to knob settings, particularly the Attack and Decay pots. Filter could more accurately be called Sensitivity. I think in mine, I actually placed a 10k resistor between lug 1 and ground to give it a bit more usable range

I'll try to get a demo up with some sample settings after work today

Back