Monarch

I know this is an old thread, but I came across it looking for a schematic for the Monarch. I did a quick control F looking for "Jack Orman" and didn't see anyone mentioning that the stage immediately after the tone stack is the AMZ Mini Booster, his adaptation of the old mu amp circuit

Mr. Orman didn't invent the mu amp, but he surely did bring it to the attention of the DIY pedal community. I first saw that circuit using JFETs in an electronics magazine in the mid 70's and built a distortion pedal with it. Catalinbread uses them in many of their pedal circuits. EQD put one in the Monarch, which is the basis of the Viceroy.

Reactions: fig
Thanks a bunch for posting this and all your other great posts! This helped me get my Tangerine working. I would've been scratching my head forever.
What was the issue for you?

I like the sound of my Tangerine though I built mine stock, and it does have a problem. If the Bass control is pushed up to the max, it starts to gate and sputter, and then then all sound fades away. It takes a bit of tapping on the 2N5457’s to make the sound come back.

The first post in this thread explains what was wrong with the original design. Any board built to that design is leakage-biased and that is absolutely not the way to use FETs. By all rights, none of those boards should have worked properly.

The first post in this thread explains what was wrong with the original design. Any board built to that design is leakage-biased and that is absolutely not the way to use FETs. By all rights, none of those boards should have worked properly.
Yeah I saw that. Maybe my 5457’s are over 2v. No big deal. Time to order a Viceroy board!

Thanks! :)

I think you said something about 3d printed brake fingers for big radii? Is that big front radius from one of those?
I used custom made brake fingers (R 6mm) but not 3d printed ones. Enclosure made with "plastic" fingers (12mm edge radius) here.

There is nothing magic about the 2N5457 and since I don't have any, I tried PF5102 and MPF4393. Both work, but the PF5102 has slightly higher gain in this circuit so I went with that one. Other JFETs will also work.
Could you elaborate on what "slightly higher gain" means here, I used MMBF4393LT1G's and switched out R6 (on the PPCB board) to get Q1 biased to around 5V, but the end result is that if I dime level, gain and juice it's a quite low gain overdrive changing to a medium gain overdrive with the juice switch toggled. But I don't think I should need to dime them (and it also sounds horrible if I don't keep them dimed), so I don't think it's working correctly since "slightly higher gain" makes it sound like the difference should be much smaller.

Q4 was a 2N5088 too, but I can switch it out to a 2N5089 if it helps.

Measure the drain and source voltages on Q1 & Q2. Do a thorough visual inspection to look for shorts, bad solder joints, incorrect component values, etc.

Could you elaborate on what "slightly higher gain" means here, I used MMBF4393LT1G's and switched out R6 (on the PPCB board) to get Q1 biased to around 5V, but the end result is that if I dime level, gain and juice it's a quite low gain overdrive changing to a medium gain overdrive with the juice switch toggled. But I don't think I should need to dime them (and it also sounds horrible if I don't keep them dimed), so I don't think it's working correctly since "slightly higher gain" makes it sound like the difference should be much smaller.

Q4 was a 2N5088 too, but I can switch it out to a 2N5089 if it helps.
Picturea are worth a thousand words!

This one seems to have a big reputation. I can't seem to find any demo though. Not on the forum, or on the www.

Back