Most Versatile Non-FV1 Delay Board

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
Anybody got any good recommendations for a non-FV1 chip delay pedal? Obviously there's no one size fits all, but I'm looking for decent delay times, the ability to oscillate, and can sound cavernous if needed. I guess I am looking for a one size fits pedal, haha

It's looking like a fight between Cataclysm, Dark Rift, Magnetron, Seabed, and Spirit Box

If you're willing to give an analogue BBD circuit a try, I'd recommend the DC Echo by Lectric FX (EHX Echo 600). Think the big box Deluxe Memory Man and add another MN3005. You've got control over the input level, wet/dry mix, delay time, rate/depth of modulation, feedback, and output level. It's a great project and one of the best sounding analogue delays I've made.

I had a similar question. I plan to breadboard a few before committing to a pcb and enclosure. Starting with the magnetron.

Do you have a PT2399 on hand, that you could mess around with?

I really need to do a deep dive into the pt2399 chip and start breadboarding it before committing to a pcb. Not against smd chips like the fv1, but they can get on the pricey side comparatively.

I really need to do a deep dive into the pt2399 chip and start breadboarding it before committing to a pcb. Not against smd chips like the fv1, but they can get on the pricey side comparatively.
BBD chips probably aren’t the way to go if you’re trying to cut costs. Unfortunately, MBP doesn’t have their Dirtbaby project available anymore. That was a pt2399-based Deluxe Memory Man circuit.

BBD chips probably aren’t the way to go if you’re trying to cut costs. Unfortunately, MBP doesn’t have their Dirtbaby project available anymore. That was a pt2399-based Deluxe Memory Man circuit.
Would you recommend the Dirtbaby? I know there are some stripboard layouts of it out there and may give this a go.

Would you recommend the Dirtbaby? I know there are some stripboard layouts of it out there and may give this a go.
I haven't built it myself although I'd like to. I think I've only heard good things about it. Plus, the components are relatively inexpensive, typically available, and you don't have to worry about clocks.

If you're willing to give an analogue BBD circuit a try, I'd recommend the DC Echo by Lectric FX (EHX Echo 600). Think the big box Deluxe Memory Man and add another MN3005. You've got control over the input level, wet/dry mix, delay time, rate/depth of modulation, feedback, and output level. It's a great project and one of the best sounding analogue delays I've made.
Sounded cool enough to prompt me to put in an order for one of the boards!

Back